Sign in to follow this  
apache12

Reload virgin. Question on 270 load

So I've been thinking of reloading. Driven by low ammo supplies and would like to see how different loads change the accuracy

I have a friend that has a basic reload set up and he said I could use it at his house any time.

The one thing that has been holding me back is it seems like reload supply's are as hard or harder to find than just factory ammo

Am I jumping from the frying pan to the fire?

Would anyone care to give me a load I could try out?

I'm not sure it those are secrets that aren't shared so if so my mistake

In factory my 270 seems to shoot hornady 130 grn superformance sst we'll. but. I usually shoot that because it's all I can find

I called hornady one and said they start to wonder at 200 and above (could be me but I have a rest)

They said try a boat tail bullett

Thanks for any pointers.

It takes some initial investment and time to reload. If you are ok with those investments then reload. Most rifle calibers these days are worth reloading to save money at the least but it will also give you the opportunity to dial in a load for your rifle if your are willing to invest them time and money to work them up.

I reload a lot because the rifle I shoot is ultra expensive to shoot factory rounds through (257 weatherby). I also reload a lot of heavy pistol rounds that are expensive like 44 mag and 45 colt. Nothing is cheap to shoot anymore so reloading can at least make it a little more bearable to spend time at the range.

Maybe I'm misreading your post, but are you saying you are shooting 230 grains bullets in your .270? 130 grain sounds more accurate.

Hopefully you have been saving your brass, lately it is one of the more costly investments for reloading. If your buddy already has .270 dies great, if not, buy Redding.

You can buy SST's pretty cheap by the 100, and Nosler Ballistic Tips (very similar bullet) are also available in boxes of 50. Neither one of those bullets has been scarce from the shelves the last few times I've looked for bullets.

I'd suggest starting with H4831 or IMR 4831 or W760 as a powder at 50ish grains and work your way up. Measure the OACL in the factory SSTs and replicate it for starters.

A pound of powder should get you 120+ charges for most .270 loads, so figure on around 60 bucks for 100 bullets, a pound of powder and a pack of 100 primers (go with Winchester or CCI). I doubt you can buy 100 rounds of factory SSTs for less than 100, so you are already saving money and getting to know more about your rifle.

First off, get a reloading book. These really will help you out in the long and short run. Before you jump into it, get with someone who reloads and that will show you how they do it. I wish I had someone I could have watched so I did not make the dumb mistakes I did early on.

• Like 1

I use 130 gr sst with imr 4831 and cci primers if you could find someone to show you the basics. Take your time do it with nothing else on your mind or you might be prone to miss a step. I found with hornandy load book stick close to what the say for the load. Read the introduction to the caliber some good stuff in there

Buy carlock's reloading for long range DVD it is worth every dime. There is a ton of stuff on the web as well. For a 270 recipe pick a bullet you want to try and then get the mfg recommendations for reloads. If you like the SST start with that and look up the Hornady reloading info.

Sorry 130 grn. Not 230. Typo

I shoot a weatherby vanguard bell and Carlson bedded stock Timney trigger. 1-10 twist