Sign in to follow this  
Edge

State trust land question

The land behind me just turned into State Trust Land. Signs say you need a permit to be in there and licensed hunting allowed.

Question: I've been told that you don't need the state land permit if you have a valid hunting license.

True or false?

The land behind me just turned into State Trust Land. Signs say you need a permit to be in there and licensed hunting allowed.

Question: I've been told that you don't need the state land permit if you have a valid hunting license.

True or false?

That is always what I have heard...

I think it depends on the attitude of whoever checks you...and whether you're actively hunting. And BTW at least around Tucson they've started enforcing the no target shooting rule on state trust land more than before.

I think to be covered you would want to state you are hunting something. for example, have a weapon and a mtn lion tag or a weapon and be hunting rabbits or coyotes, etc.

• Like 7

I don't know, the permits get hung on your rear view mirror. If you don't have one on your vehicle, wtf?

I think to be covered you would want to state you are hunting something. for example, have a weapon and a mtn lion tag or a weapon and be hunting rabbits or coyotes, etc.

+1 just carry a pistol, hunting license and you'll be fine. Anyone ask your coyote hunting!

• Like 1

I have been hunting on state trust land and stopped by the sheriff. All I had to do was show him my hunting licence. I called the state land department afterwards to confirm I was in the clear and they said that is all you need when hunting. (Scouting does not count BTW).

You have to be actively hunting for your hunting license to be your permit. If you are out riding quads, have a gun and a license but it's clear you're not hunting chances are you will get a ticket.

• Like 2

The way it has been explained to me is if your hunting your license works as your permit. It does not work for scouting and if you are hunting and want to camp there you still need a permit.

This question has come about because the land had been Peoria, but the cops had such a far way to come in order to quell the constant disturbances made by jerks shooting all hours of the day and night and within a few hundred yards of residential areas, it's now State Trust.

All the clowns had to do was follow a few reasonable rules and pick up after themselves....but no. On the occasions I would target shoot out there, I would click off the mileage on the odometer and pass target shooters the whole way out to the mandatory 1 mile minimum to legally shoot. Only one time did I see someone shooting out there beyond the 1 mile mark, and they were shooting at a hill off-roaders were riding on.

So if you were planning on target shooting off of Dove Valley soon, we're all s.o.l.

No such thing as a 1 mile rule... I love it when people make stuff up!

• Like 4