Sign in to follow this  
AZLance

if you have the spring archery bear tag, you had better hurry up!

As far as "squeaky clean" forests goes... Is it not better to have brush, dead trees, and debris cleaned up to help prevent the spread of wild fires? Do you folks who live in the forest keep your property cleaned up and any combustibles away from your home (wood, brush, burn pile,trash, etc)?? If your keeping your own property safe then why shouldn't the forest service "us" keep the rest of the land clean to help prevent the spread of these huge fires? I'm not arguing the ignorant factor of flat landers or high elevation folks, but isn't it better to be pro active than reactive?

• Like 1

Well since we are talking in blanket statements about fires, I propose all Tucsonans should be banned from the white mountains because of this. (sorry Father, sorry brother)

"FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. -- Two cousins who admitted starting the largest wildfire in Arizona’s history were sentenced Wednesday to 48 hours in jail, five years probation and 200 hours of community service."

Some back story before the 4" of snow and level one restrictions. The wind that week was just short of Wizard of Oz and flying houses level and the weather guys had the chance of precipitation at 5% or so. Is it a greater crime for you not to free range across whatever forest you choose or to minimize the chance at destroying a national/Arizona asset and displacing people from there homes. Monsoons are five or six weeks away.

The Forest Service governs the forest, I am all for a new regime, but until then we need to honor there choices and whether its luck or happenstance once in awhile they get it right.

Well then, following your logic, we should ban all firefighters and Native Americans from the forest since it was a Indian firefighter who started the Rodeo fire, which merged with the Chediski fire to become AZ's largest fire.

Well since we are talking in blanket statements about fires, I propose all Tucsonans should be banned from the white mountains because of this. (sorry Father, sorry brother)

"FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. -- Two cousins who admitted starting the largest wildfire in Arizona’s history were sentenced Wednesday to 48 hours in jail, five years probation and 200 hours of community service."

Some back story before the 4" of snow and level one restrictions. The wind that week was just short of Wizard of Oz and flying houses level and the weather guys had the chance of precipitation at 5% or so. Is it a greater crime for you not to free range across whatever forest you choose or to minimize the chance at destroying a national/Arizona asset and displacing people from there homes. Monsoons are five or six weeks away.

The Forest Service governs the forest, I am all for a new regime, but until then we need to honor there choices and whether its luck or happenstance once in awhile they get it right.

Well then, following your logic, we should ban all firefighters and Native Americans from the forest since it was a Indian firefighter who started the Rodeo fire, which merged with the Chediski fire to become AZ's largest fire.

Well actually following your blanket statement logic they can't stay. Following my logic of "if you dont like it do something about it" they can stay The native that started the fire actually spent measurable time in jail as opposed to the others . Eight years if I remember correctly. Furthermore, WMAT has done an incredible job cleaning there side of the fence simply because it had to be done without fanfare. The Wallow is larger than Rodeo Chediski, but one thing is certain they both sucked.

Two years ago, during the archery bear season, they shut down the lower end of 35a due to a fire in the area (it had started across the border). It was re-opened after the fire was put out. If they do close the Coronado due to fire risks, do they give you any warning or heads up that it is going to happen? Is that what the different levels are about? I have six cameras that I would like to get out of there if it is going to happen. As far as keeping people out, there will be people running thru those mountains, closed or not.

I hope they don't close it due to risks but sadly, if there is a fire, it is going to close anyway.

Let's hope for rain. It was raining in Lordsburg when I went thru there yesterday.

Brent

Still at Stage II as of this morning. Looks Prescott and Flagg will get some rain today. Monsoons are still 5 weeks away.

I have lived in this state long enough to accept this as a fact of life. There are just too many DUMB people out there and it's too dang risky to leave our forests in their hands. Just look at the way these jack wagons leave the forests after a holiday weekend.

Yes a lot more needs to be done to maintain the forests and prevent build up of fuels but in the end, the general public just has too many slobs in it who won't play by the rules.

Agree 110%!!!!!!!!