PatrickJr

World Record???

as some of you may know, i was up north this weekend for a shoot, and i posted photos of elk/lope/deer i saw. today we drove home and wanted to possibly see more elk. we were driving past Mormon lake when i saw 4 figures on the opposing side of the lake. we stopped and i confirmed that they were elk. as i was setting up the tripod, my buddy said "Holy crap, there is a sh*tload of elk out there!!!" we looked closer and the shore of the lake was speckled with elk. Some of you may have seen them, if you were at that 3D shoot. we counted 166 elk!!!! now i understand there isnt a world record for animals in an elk herd, but it is probably the largest i will ever see. i also may have missed some elk... here are some photos i took. the elk were about 1 mile away, and i got 2 cows walking across the lake. all photos were taken from the highway, through our Vortex Viper 20x60x85 and a crappy handheld camera, no adapter (yet). please tell me if you saw this giant elk herd.

post-12189-0-55140900-1402886132_thumb.jpg i will be getting this photo framed....

post-12189-0-62670600-1402886135_thumb.jpg some cows...

post-12189-0-17423200-1402886139_thumb.jpg and more cows/ bulls, no big bulls, just rags as far as i could see.

post-12189-0-65114600-1402886142_thumb.jpg

post-12189-0-17332700-1402886146_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Lol ya they come and go with the flood of archery and bikers and then go into hiding after the first but of hunting. Love that area

• Like 1

Those elk will more or less live there until the rifle hunts start. It will get bigger. It's a great place to go see elk during the rut.

One place to see some GIANT elk herds are on the winter range in the Northern Rockies. There will be thousands in Jackson, WY all winter.

• Like 1

Yes I have seen them like that in Unit 1 and also some big herds in 3A/3C around those low lakes like that.

• Like 1

It's a fun time watching the idiots chase the elk in the lake during the archery season!

• Like 4

Like stated above they will stick around until the first gun goes bang, I was up north this weekend and we got to see them all as well many calves running around. wait a month or two and you can see hundreds, counted over 50 plus bulls last year not including spikes. Sweet pics thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

Mormon Lake, Rodgers Lake, Sipes, Crosby Crossing, Beaver Head, Rodgers Marsh, Greens Peak, Open Draw, Augar Canyon...these are all places that elk use as large meeting venues...not hard to see 150+ at a time. However, it does seem that there are fewer large gatherings of elk in units 1 and 27 since the fire. Great pics, thanks for posting.

• Like 1

With the lake low they will really be consentrated this year, set up in one of the view points on the east side and glass the entire edge. You can get closer to the north end at Dairy Springs on the west side but can't really see the south end very well. Always fun to sit and watch especially when the young ones are playing tag and the big bulls are just laying in the grass.

• Like 2

I love Mormon Lake.. Yes, as others have said, this herd will get larger by the day leading up to rifle season..

post-9498-0-34292500-1402929686_thumb.jpg

• Like 1