Sign in to follow this  
ciomber

phoenix ponds/golf course fishing

JMO based on experience, if you have a GC pond that has been established for a few years and not drained for maintenance, it typically has bass worth catching. Some of my favorite fishing memories are slamming into nice fish in unexpected places!

I owned the airport lake for about 14 years. Terry Mulholland and Ron Davis owned 50% and I owned 50%. I got so tired of poachers, netters and thieving partners that I gave up my half. I caught an 11.4 out of there and it is in my office. We had a ball fishing it for a lot of years. Ewing Irrigation owns it now. It is full of bass, huge talapia, 4 pound bluegill and we planted channel cats. FYI.

• Like 2

I think they do. I got tired of paying 100% of the tax bill so after 8 years told Ron he could pay them. He said no problem and ended up buying 3 of the 5 parcels out of tax lien under his company "MY Lake Inc." then his lawyer threatened to sue me so I told them in spite of having every document showing Davis stealing from the partnership they could have my half for a liability release. Best thing I ever did and he sold it to Ewing a few weeks later.

I remember Terry Mulholland being a darn good LH pitcher. He pitched for several teams but I remember him with the Phillys and Cubs.

I think I remember Davis pitching for the Yankees and Twins.

Mulholland was a great guy. Ron like all the other parasites lived off the host until he was dried up.

Mulholland is a great guy. When I was younger, my parents did all the stonework at his house. Nothing but great things to say about him, and I even got some autographs from him. Other athletes with money have not been so kind to the subs....

Growing up in Sahuarita in the mid 80’s, golf pond fishing was the norm. It involved decoy cars parked in conspicuous spots, black clothes, laying in the low spots when the spot lights were on...good times! The fishing in the summer was usually great, some of the biggest bass I have ever caught. Some nights it was hard to cast without a hit.

A couple years ago I got a call in the middle of the night. It was a police officer from a nearby town. Seems my son was not sneaky enough when he was at a golf pond. I guess I can't complain as that was the only trouble he got into with the law while in high school.

My Father and my Uncles got arrested a few times for fishing in the Phx Zoo. And the story goes that there was an escaped gator that fell for a junebug Gitter bug....

I was fortunate to grow up near the Biltmore Country club we were the minions looking in, and back in the 80"s when I was in my teens we would catch no less then a 100 bass a night it was the best. It was also fun ditching the security guards. I knew that course better then the Golf pro and learned it in the dark no less, good times. To be young again.

• Like 1

so can i fish these ponds at night without lights and catch fish? lights seem like kind of a bust if the course isnt cool with people fishing it. WHat bait would you suggest? I hear alot of spinners, but can texas rigged worms or lizards work at night? Crankbaits?

Help a brotha out, I wanna catch 10 in 10 cast!!!!!!!!!

Anything you catch them on in the daytime will work at night. Fish find prey with their lateral line as well as their eyes.

so can i fish these ponds at night without lights and catch fish? lights seem like kind of a bust if the course isnt cool with people fishing it. WHat bait would you suggest? I hear alot of spinners, but can texas rigged worms or lizards work at night? Crankbaits?

Help a brotha out, I wanna catch 10 in 10 cast!!!!!!!!!

I was there right at first light that time, but I fished it in broad daylight most of the time. I was 18 to present day (Allegedly... ) and all they had/have was an older guy on a golf cart. Thats no match for a man on foot. It honestly is/was part of the excitement....
  • Like 1

There is a pond near the airport, steep banks and chain linked all around, years ago it had a giant opening, monster bass and tilapia.Dont think its accessible anymore,its still there.

That's a private pond owned by some baseball players. It does have HUGE Bass, but also HUGE fines if your caught fishing it. They patrol the lake on a regular basis. I used to have contact info for the lake, but no longer do. I fished it one time with the owner. It sucked that day, but I did see the largest Bluegill I've ever seen.

Adam

There might be holes in that fence. I have lunch there and see a few who fish it.

Yamamoto Sinko's no weight just a 3 o hook,shallow running small crank baits, drop shot , try a buzz bait don't tell anyone. Try real slow retrieve then be erratic with the retrieve but always go back to slow. This time a year moon helps 4 days before full moon and four days after seems to work but who knows. These are baits I used in the last ten years in tournaments, back in the 80's texas rigged worm and a shallow crank bait its all I had in the backpack and all I could pay for at Sunset Sports Center