Sign in to follow this  
AZBearhunter

Unit 33, 2450 Coues tags!

I didn't do the exact math, however, it is undeniable that AZGFD is not conservative when it comes to issuing tags for several units, in question unit 33. Myself, I believe it is a little excessive on the 700 tag hunts. From my understanding, these rifle hunts get out of hand with 4 hunters on every hill, and guys hunting over each other...etc. Please share your opinion/stories, I want to see what others think.

2450 tags including youth hunts for 33.

Manny.

Unit 7 was like this I think 2 years ago and last year. Now it's harder to even find a nice buck. I'm sure their still in their I just haven't seen them.

• Like 1

I hav hunted gmu 33 for 24 years and last year was the final straw. There where fing idiots shooting all over the place, people using dogs to track deer and the biggest deer I saw killed was a little 2 point and I heard they did it to lower the rate what did work but it put a lot of stress on the deer. I just moved to a better unit for me

Hunted a 700 tagger in 33 myself 2 years ago and helped my brother and good hunting buddy again last year. We have taken bucks on opening day both hunts, nothing big but meat and experience nonetheless. With that said..

First year there were hunters on every one of 4 ridges along our 2.5 mile trek into roadless country, some in their spots way early and some bushwhacking in way late. Never saw a single other person while scouting so it was hard to anticipate where folks would be opening day.

2 years ago we watched a hunter fire 13 rounds in 10 minutes at a coues until he ran out of ammunition. Did not make an effort to get closer to the animal during or after shooting.

Last year on opening day of the late November hunt, we watched 2 real nice guys, who were set-up early on a great ridge that we were saving as Plan B, blow out a nice 3 point on their way to what they said was a monster coues. We unknowingly bumped into them trying to get to our Plan B as another group of hunters at 9am were crashing up the ridge we were set up on before light. We kept on to Plan C and tagged one opening day but really had to work for it.

IMO, I understand both sides of the argument. It's nice having a great unit like 33 offer so much opportunity for me to get out with my brother and best friend almost every year, while still seeing quality animals. But, at 700 tags, there are just too many people for me to enjoy the hunt the way I want to and the average quality of buck is likely nowhere near what it used to be.

• Like 2

had two hunts in 33 last year in the family. saw plenty of bucks and one that was well over a hundred that i know made it all the way thru to february. by contrast my third choice tag was in 34a and that unit is an unmitigated disaster by contrast. there are idiots in every unit.

i do however agree that if the game and fish doesn't cut back a bit in 33 it will continue to significantly decline in quality. In part because of the number of hunters but also because so many of them choose to hunt on top of each other. Seems the people have become increasingly ok with trying to crowd out anyone they think is in a "their area". feels like courtesy is a completely foreign concept to the majority.

my point in all that was that i'm not sure 33 is worse than any other unit anymore. all the hunter opportunity is a major factor in hunt quality.

We hunt this unit almost every yr. YES there are lots of hunters but 90 plus percent of them are within 2 miles or less then a rd. get a few miles back and you will have far less hunters and LOTS more deer...It's not uncommon to see several nice bucks and one or two great bucks with several hrs spent behind good glass every day...

It's no secret that 33 holds a tremendous amount of deer. So it's only expected that G&F is going to maximize their revenue with increased tag #'s.

G&F have very little interest in the quality of a hunt (especially this one). Sportsman "made that clear" a few years ago.

Like someone alluded to earlier, 90% of hunters can't or won't access the majority of the deer. G&F justifies tag numbers based on deer surveys not necessarily hunter accessibility.

Hardly makes sense most of the time, I know.

I'm a 33 guy (wherever that is), for the last 35yrs. Not saying that the amount of deer tags ain't an issue, but the unit doesn't get a weekend off for a long time with all the other species offered. Check it out. Starting from the first archery deer hunt till the last pig hunt. It's seems like that's alot of constant pressure.

• Like 2

It's no secret that 33 holds a tremendous amount of deer. So it's only expected that G&F is going to maximize their revenue with increased tag #'s.

G&F have very little interest in the quality of a hunt (especially this one). Sportsman "made that clear" a few years ago.

Like someone alluded to earlier, 90% of hunters can't or won't access the majority of the deer. G&F justifies tag numbers based on deer surveys not necessarily hunter accessibility.

Hardly makes sense most of the time, I know.

they still send out survey cards? Pfffttt.