AZBearhunter

AZGFD out of line? Closes 34a bear hunt, and then reopens it???

So for those of you who have the 34A bear tag, many will agree that if you listened to the hotline on Monday June 16th, the bear hotline said that the sow quota was met and the unit 34A would be closing at sun down, June 18th. Apparently today, the hotline is reporting a "correction" and that the unit will not be closing as the sow quota has not been met. My issue in the matter is: HOW IN THE WORLD COULD THEY GET THE MATH WRONG. I mean bears have to be reported within 48 hours, and then physically checked in shortly after. Unless a hunter was unable to clearly see the ball sack on his bear, then perhaps a hunter reported it incorrectly. From my understanding only 2 bears have been killed in 34a, 1 boar and 1 sow. The 1 boar that was killed happened a few weeks ago (in May) by one of my friends, and he knew it was a boar and reported it as a boar. So what went wrong?

The biggest issue I have is that several guys I know took work off yesterday and today (tuesday June 17-18th) to get a last opportunity at being able to hunt. Although this all may sound like whining, stupid or silly for bringing up, to me this is very serious. Mistakes like this are not acceptable, just like a mistake in the draw or with someones tag, is not a joke either.

If anyone has more information, please share, but with only 2 bears taken so far (to my knowledge), it sounds like they made the error in counting the first bear (which was a boar) as a sow. Plain and simple. Thankfully they caught it before having the unit actually closed today at sun down, however, guys still took work off and were rushing to try to fill there tags, which I don't think is right.

UPDATE/INVESTIGATION/CONCLUSION:

So I did some investigating. The error occurred when a hunter reported through his voice message that he had harvested a sow, but it was actually a boar (apparently the bears balls were microscopic). The G&F closes a unit based on the messages they receive, however, like in this instance if there is inaccurate information provided by a hunter, the unit does reopen. Once verifying that it was not a sow, and was a boar, they retracted the message on the hotline and reopened the unit. Therefore, 2 boars and 1 sow have been harvested in 34a so far (1 boar in may). For those of you who have a tag, don't play with fire, only one more sow and the unit really will close for good.

How hard can it be to count to Two?

I too know a guy who used some of his vacation time yesterday and today to try and hunt the last two days.

• Like 1

Two years ago they did it with 35 a and b. Can't remember exactly, but they closed about two weeks into the season and re opened it a month later. Same mistake. At least they caught it before they closed it. I went down and pulled cameras and stands to have them re open it later.

It seems like it is hard to count to three

Did you try and call the main office and get answers...? Might be they screwed up..Might be an explanation...

I will try to get answers. Calling to find out answers is a good idea.

• Like 1

Sometimes on a hermaphroditic bear it is hard to decide if it should be counted as a boar or a sow. Depends on the agent checking the bear and what kind of day they are having with sportsmen and sportswomen.

• Like 1

Sometimes on a hermaphroditic bear it is hard to decide if it should be counted as a boar or a sow. Depends on the agent checking the bear and what kind of day they are having with sportsmen and sportswomen.

Hermaphroditic bear!! Holy molly, I didn't know this was possible. The reality is that given that his has happened before in 35a/b as cohofishing pointed out, it would stand to reason that this was an error that G&F made. The 1 boar that was killed in May was definitely a boar, there was no debating that, his manhood was intact.

Guest 300ultramag.

I think cw has met it's quota for complaining about the G&F. Not to offend the original poster here. But this is beginning to be the dead horse of threads. So they opened back up a hunt. Well my advice is get back out there and go hunt then. If they called me and said hey your elk hunt got extended I wouldn't get too bent out of shape over it. :)

• Like 7

I think cw has met it's quota for complaining about the G&F. Not to offend the original poster here. But this is beginning to be the dead horse of threads. So they opened back up a hunt. Well my advice is get back out there and go hunt then. If they called me and said hey your elk hunt got extended I wouldn't get too bent out of shape over it. :)

Somebody would start a thread to cry about it.

• Like 2

So I did some investigating. The error occurred when a hunter reported through his voice message that he had harvested a sow, but it was actually a boar (apparently the bears balls were microscopic). The G&F closes a unit based on the messages they receive, however, like in this instance if there is inaccurate information provided by a hunter, the unit does reopen. Once verifying that it was not a sow, and was a boar, they retracted the message on the hotline and reopened the unit. Therefore, 2 boars and 1 sow have been harvested in 34a so far (1 boar in may). For those of you who have a tag, don't play with fire, only one more sow and the unit really will close for good.

I think if you kill a bear and can't tell if it is a boar or sow... Maybe it was too small and you shouldn't have shot it!

• Like 2

And these are trained and educated biologists? Must have went to ASU.Dont forget what happened to Macho B. Does not surprise me one bit.

And these are trained and educated biologists? Must have went to ASU.Dont forget what happened to Macho B. Does not surprise me one bit.

Read what I wrote up above, it wasn't the G&F fault in this case. Hunter error.

• Like 1

Read what I wrote up above, it wasn't the G&F fault in this case. Hunter error.

must be U of A
  • Like 2