standman

Unit 1/3b fire

That explains the slurry tankers I saw flying out of Williams gateway while havin a few xx in the pool. We are heading to alpine over the fourth for some r&r and early scouting in unit 1. This is not good. Hopefully they get this contained asap. I have a tag this year in 1 early archery but im not to concerned about my tag they need to get this fire out for our kids to enjoy that area in the future.

They haven't issued a mandatory evacuation for whiting homestead I don't think its quite there yet but will be soon

Correct still no mandatory evac orders.

Interesting thing, Danny White's ( former Dallas Cowboy Qb ) place burned up in the Rodeo fire. He built a new place out above Vernon. Have friends out there helping him pack up. Talk about bad luck.

Brian

From my office window in Lakeside

1100 ish

post-4480-0-08822900-1403835151_thumb.jpg

1 ish

post-4480-0-29739600-1403835282_thumb.jpg

3ish

post-4480-0-56351100-1403835372_thumb.jpg

From a source I trust it was along/by the 96 road.

• Like 1

This pic was just forwarded to be. The whiting homestead is beyond the trees. This is the big meadow before you make the bend to the homestead. We camp this the feild the people are parked on :( :( :(.

This is soooo sad

post-8413-0-97479000-1403837432_thumb.jpg

Sounds like there will be a lot of nice new habitat in a few years.

Yeah like this area from the wallow fire.

post-4480-0-17112500-1403842202_thumb.jpg

Yep, it will look bad for awhile, but soon it will provide twice as much feed for the elk and deer with areas opened up by the fire.

I feel very comfortable in saying that deer hunting has gotten worse from before the wallow fire to now in unit 1. I also believe that elk and deer for what ever reason is less now in 3c than its hay day ten years ago from the rodeo fire.

I feel very comfortable in saying that deer hunting has gotten worse from before the wallow fire to now in unit 1. I also believe that elk and deer for what ever reason is less now in 3c than its hay day ten years ago.

What you are saying is based in fact. A couple of years ago the WM from unit 1 (Packer is his screen name I believe) shared the rationale for increasing tags following the Wallow fire. And essentially he said for the first couple of years the habitat couldn't support the herd sizes it had previously so the increase in tags was to reduce herds and allow the new growth to take hold. Once the new growth took hold it sustained more animals than prior to the fire, and increased nutrients for those animals which correlates to increased antler growth. Once the boom of new forage levels out and the new growth begins to get thick and the rich post fire nutrients are gone then the increased forage is lost and you begin to return to pre-fire herd levels and the boom is over.

I feel very comfortable in saying that deer hunting has gotten worse from before the wallow fire to now in unit 1. I also believe that elk and deer for what ever reason is less now in 3c than its hay day ten years ago from the rodeo fire.

I feel very comfortable in saying that deer hunting has gotten worse from before the wallow fire to now in unit 1. I also believe that elk and deer for what ever reason is less now in 3c than its hay day ten years ago.

What you are saying is based in fact. A couple of years ago the WM from unit 1 (Packer is his screen name I believe) shared the rationale for increasing tags following the Wallow fire. And essentially he said for the first couple of years the habitat couldn't support the herd sizes it had previously so the increase in tags was to reduce herds and allow the new growth to take hold. Once the new growth took hold it sustained more animals than prior to the fire, and increased nutrients for those animals which correlates to increased antler growth. Once the boom of new forage levels out and the new growth begins to get thick and the rich post fire nutrients are gone then the increased forage is lost and you begin to return to pre-fire herd levels and the boom is over.

hmmm, im really excited for my soon to be 3c tag now

hope everything turns out alright up there. looks bad.

Just from my experience. I have hunted the same area in the heart of the wallow fire area since I was young and pretty to now. I have spent nearly everyday of the of the last few general deer seasons and much of the archery seasons chasing game in the wallow area and have not seen the numbers from 2011 and earlier for whatever reason. 3c is my home unit now and this was my first choice for deer this year on a gut feeling and there are still great deer in the unit, but it is my belief that the numbers are significantly down. That being said I took my largest archery deer in 3c in 2010 and because of the wallow fire I took my largest rifle deer in 2011 in 1 (you can see a long ways just after a fire).

Here are the current permits issued and the ones issues in 2009

2009 deer permits

Hunt No. Season Dates Notes Open Areas Legal Wildlife Permits
1000 BONUS POINT ONLY — See page 17 (No other hunt number may be chosen in conjunction with this one).
1001 Oct 23 - Nov 1, 2009 1 Any antlered deer 260
1002 Oct 30 - Nov 8, 2009 2A, 2B, and 2C Any antlered deer 80
1003 Oct 30 - Nov 8, 2009 (26) 3A and 3C Any antlered deer 300
Hunt no. Season Dates notes open Areas legal Wildlife permits
1000 Bonus Point only — see page 19 (no other hunts may be chosen in conjunction with this one).
1001 Oct 24 - Nov 2, 2014 1 Any antlered deer 225
1002 Oct 31 - Nov 9, 2014 (39) 2A, 2B, and 2C Any antlered deer 100
1003 Oct 24 - Nov 2, 2014 3A and 3C Any antlered deer 125

I would say right now that the deer in 3c are benefitting from the elk numbers leveling out. Scientifically I can't verify that but the deer I see coming out of 3c now seem much better than right after the RC fire.

Back to the fire discussion, my heart goes out to The people impacted. Danny White lives near us and he is friends with my parents. I am sick for him.

Thats My old stompin grounds, Hunted it for years ,had cabin in Vernon. I got the call last nite and My heart dropped.Really sad.Don't know what else to say...............BOB!