Sign in to follow this  
joelbiltz

Optics suggestions

Here is the deal. I have a chance to hunt a southern unit if there are leftovers with a good buddy from AZ to help me out. For all you hardcore coues guys what would you opt for optic wise.

I own the 10x42 Leica Geovid HD-B and a Nightforce 20-70x82 spotter along with the Outdoorsmans tripod with Outdoorsmans pan head. Here is my question. Would you use these two optics or would you opt for the 10x42 Geovids and a good set of 15x56 instead of the spotter. Both binos can and will be mounted to the tripod. My buddy will be toating a 77 mm Leica spotter. So with this in mind let's hear it. Thanks in advance.

I would take the 15's or take 12's and don't take the 10's at all.

I don't see the need for 2 spotting scopes between you. If an animal is that far away you should have time or you would never get to him anyway.

• Like 1

just take 15x56 and leave everything else, use your buddies spotter, you will be good. thats a nice setup you have though.

• Like 1

Good point!

I used just 15's for the last 8 years, left the 10's and the big spotter in the truck.

Depends on what you want out of the hunt….

Trophy hunter the 15's and Spotter are great.

If your packing in and need to save weight the 10's and Spotter.

If your just looking for a good representative then the 15s are all you need.

What you have now should work fine, but if you are looking for an excuse to get something new, 15s or 12s would be useful. If your buddy was packing a rangefinder you could carry them instead of your geovids. A friend has the 15 geovids he really likes...

I am currently happy with 12s and a spotter. Pretty sure I bought a MSR backpacking tent from you a few years ago, good luck on your hunt!

if you are just looking for a great representative of the species i would leave the spotter at home. unless you are trophy hunting and trying to decide if a buck is 109 or 110 i would personally opt for the set of 10's around my neck and 15's in the pack. with a good set of 15's you can usually get within 5-10 inches of a buck's score no problem. then you dont have as much weight with the 15's in your pack instead of the spotter. i dont own a spotter and dont feel the need for one cause i can judge a buck just fine with my swaro 15's. but thats just my personal preference. i know guys who wouldnt leave home without a spotter

I run Swarovski, 8x32 el's around my neck and 15x56 slc's for my tripod, dont skimp on the tripod either, I use an ultralight (Sirui) that folds up to about 12" but extends to like 60".

love this combo.

Take what you already have and are accustomed to. I use 15's but I am purchasing the 10x42 hd-b geoviods shortly. Then I will use both :D

10's and 15, or just 10's even Considering you've never hunted these deer chances are your buddy is going to school you in glassing for them!

• Like 1

Firstcoueswas80 I've got pretty good eyes when it comes to spotting game. Lol. I sure hope my buddy has great eyes and to tell you the truth I don't care who finds me my buck. It will be a blast either way.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Swarovski 15's and a spotting scope. Carrying a spotting scope can really save a lot of leg work. Your leica's are great glass and a great range finder and I would bring them for that alone but, they are not the best tool for spotting coues 800 + yards out.