Sign in to follow this  
Guest oneshot

Mesquite Bean Harvesting

Guest oneshot

It is time for collecting mesquite beans, we have a nice velvet mesquite in a common area in front of the house and I've been picking up freshly fallen beans for the past few days(the dirt-merchant landscapers must love me cleaning-up under this tree hehe) and putting them in the freezer for future use...

I grind them in a blender to make the flour... mesquite sugar cookies is the main recipe I've been using, but by collecting alot more this year I'll be able to try some different recipes... I'm going to try mesquite flour sour-doughbread first...

Different trees will have different flavors, taste the beans to find the sweetest ones, velvet mesquites are sweeter then other types... discard any that have mold spots or beatle holes...

Guest oneshot

The nutty/sweet flavour is like no other, it's a good thing the GF likes them also, the freezer is going to be full of beans hehee...

Sweet post! :)

I look forward to your creations and let me know if you need a taste tester.

When hunting the desert floors, I seem to regularly grab a mesquite bean and chew on it.

• Like 1

Guest oneshot

Back in NY there is a tree called a "honey locust", the seed pods are huge and the inner part of the seed-pods have a pulp that is honey colored and real sweet... I'll grab a few to snack on while sitting stands and the deer love to eat them, as they seem to be sweeter after the first frost...

I will post some pics after I make some treats... I think using the mesq. flour to make sourdough will be an interesting flavour...

Thought about this early in the week when I was cleaning up beans on the sidewalk. I should check the tree in front of my house and see if it's a "sweeter" variety and give it a try...

Guest oneshot

Thought about this early in the week when I was cleaning up beans on the sidewalk. I should check the tree in front of my house and see if it's a "sweeter" variety and give it a try...

Nice, You use about 1/3cup mesquite flour to each cup of reg flour, all mesquite flour doesnt work for baking cookies and such... I have a mesquite flour/reg flour sourdough starter going right now...

I tried to make cookies with the pods from the Mesquite tree in my front yard last year. Big NO BUENO! I'm guessing I need to try a different type of Mesquite pod.

Guest oneshot

I have been wanting to try this. Do you use the hole pod including the seeds?

Put a small handfull of pods, the whole dealy, into a blender, run on pulse so it doesnt get to hot, sift through a wire strainer, you will have alot of un-ground pods/seeds to flour.. discard the un-ground stuff, if the seeds get ground-up the flour will taste bitter.... I put the pods into the freezer first, it seemed to work alittle better this year... just keep going and you will have a nice pile of flour, you can either freeze the flour, keep in reefer for a few days, or just keep the pods in freezer and grind as needed...

To use mix 1/3cup mes. flour to 2/3rds cup reg. flour... If you use to much mes. flour your recipes wont work...

Guest oneshot

1/3cup of mes. flour mixed with 2/3cup of reg. flour to make one cup of flour to use in recipe...

Anybody ever heard of a catfish eating mesquite pods? I had one today that was full of them.

My old dog is quarter Coyote and she would lay there and eat beans for hours in Cave Creek. Neat dog. She is 15 and ready to be put down. Hard to do ,but can barely use her back legs.I never knew humans ate the beans. She knew something i didn't...............BOB!