cosninocanines

Covert Scouting Cameras

Right now I have been leaving the middle open. When I called covert to tell them I was very unhappy with the sensitivity with their E-5 cams, they recommended using the electrical tape. I protested the idea and swapped up to MP6 cams at a minimal charge, they also turned out to be too sensitive even though you can adjust those as you cannot with the E5 model (very basic cam which I do not like or recommend). I found a few E5s in the field and they had electrical tape on them, probably made the same call to covert as I did!! After giving in and experimenting with the electrical tape, I have had excellent results and I like the fact I can completely close out the side few of the camera sensor. Wind pictures have been cut way down to almost none at all.

Like I said in earlier posts, I spend a lot more time on set up than almost anyone I've ever been out with. I currently have over 10 cameras out and with all the effort, gas and time involved, I don't have the time or patience for wind pictures so it is worth it to me to take all the time necessary for set up so I can leave it out for a long time with confidence. I always have a way to view cards during set up and I will experiment with each camera, I use the max setting which is about 5 seconds delay I think. I can test it out, view the pics and repeat until I'm totally satisfied with the set up. I normally leave my cameras set on 1 picture with a 60 delay and that is my go to setting. Lots of guys set their cameras to take a lot more pictures than me, utilizing 3 shot burst with a shorter delay. But with so many cameras out, I don't need thousands and thousands of extra pictures of does and small bucks to go through.

MP6 is great camera and I believe it is super reliable with fast trigger speed at a great price. Get the sensitivity in check and it is a great cam.

Covert Red 40 is my current favorite, 32 gig card and a 12AA battery set up, super simple control panel and I'll bet it would take pictures for a year without being touched for the back country fanatics. We set a new camera up in a spot I've been looking at on the map for some time. Plan is to return in February so we will have the velvet season and the rut on camera. Hoping to have good returns on that investment for a new area for 2015.

Right now I have been leaving the middle open. When I called covert to tell them I was very unhappy with the sensitivity with their E-5 cams, they recommended using the electrical tape. I protested the idea and swapped up to MP6 cams at a minimal charge, they also turned out to be too sensitive even though you can adjust those as you cannot with the E5 model (very basic cam which I do not like or recommend). I found a few E5s in the field and they had electrical tape on them, probably made the same call to covert as I did!! After giving in and experimenting with the electrical tape, I have had excellent results and I like the fact I can completely close out the side few of the camera sensor. Wind pictures have been cut way down to almost none at all.

so do you just tape the left and right sides, or do you make a little border around the whole sensor. if so what width is the tape? and do you have ny problems with animals running by and only getting tails/butts?

and is it best to do this even when setting it over water?

Thanks!

i have been utilizing trail cameras for 10+ years. they are a lot of work, and cost a lot of money when you figure the time taken to maintain your camera areas, gas, time off, wear and tear on vehicles, batteries, memory cards etc., and there is nothing that hurts more than having a camera sitting on a new or much anticipated spot for months, only to retrieve it and discover that your camera took thousands of pictures of nothing in the first couple of days, and sat there dead for months, especially when your camera site is FULL of fresh game sign, and missed everything. i think that everyone that had spent much time using trail cameras has had this happen at some point, regardless of how much time is taken in making sure that everything is just right. i spend an hour or more setting up each camera making sure that i have everything to my liking, pointed in the right direction, grass knocked down, scent free etc. and i still get the occasional setup of useless photos. i would recommend that we start a thread on how to avoid false pictures with trail cameras, and ask Amanda to pin it. all of the veteran camera users can add their $.02 and maybe we can put an end to the false pictures. i like the electrical tape idea, and will have to try it out myself

• Like 1

Patrick, camera field of view doesn't change. Your taping the sensor only. I use regular electrical tape on all 4 sides and then use my havalon to cut the excess around the edges so it will lay down nice and clean. I'm trying to create a laser beam type motion sensor rather than a wide angle motion sensor.

Patrick, camera field of view doesn't change. Your taping the sensor only. I use regular electrical tape on all 4 sides and then use my havalon to cut the excess around the edges so it will lay down nice and clean. I'm trying to create a laser beam type motion sensor rather than a wide angle motion sensor.

yes you are putting the tape on the sensor not the lens, but when you cut down on that sensitivity, arent you more likely to miss an animal runnning by?? do you get what i am asking, its hard to explain by typing...

I'm targeting specific spots, so animals running by doesn't apply. Trigger speed is top notch on the coverts and depending on situation it would not get an animal "running" by. An animal running by at 90 degrees that isn't at the far reach of the cam for better field of view probably wouldn't be in the frame anyway and would be blurry.

Can you please provide a picture of your typical tape job on your camera?

i'm having nothing but problems with my covert. last 3 times i set it out i got not pics, it keeps shutting off after i leave.

i have 3 covert cameras and have nothing but problems with them. i had all three of them out for about 8 weeks when i checked them this weekend. they took around 3000 pics each in the first day of nothing and died. i have been running trail cameras for 10+ years, and i am VERY particular about poining them to the north, shading them if possible, removing everything that could cause false triggers, etc. i have a couple stealth cams, wildviews and wildgame innovations and have zero problems with them. i will never use or purchase another covert cam. they are over priced and unreliable. my cameras are a 5 hour drive away and all a mile-plus hike in. nothing like wasting all that time and money to retrieve a camera with nothing useful on it. i have not tried to the trick about taping up the sensor, but when i spend $150 on a camera, i feel like i shouldn't have to modify it to make it work properly

I have two converts. I have had nothing but problems with them. Battery life last maybe two weeks at most. Dark and over exposed pics. Finally had to quit using them. Still like my old D cell moultries and any new ones are Bushnell.

Brian

i picked up two of the stealth cam skout 7mp cameras and ran them. i could not be happier. they took great pictures and didn't seem to miss any animals. night pictures were good as well. one camera had 1500 pics, the other about 900. both still had full battery life. i picked them up on sportsmans guide for about $70 each. i'm going to have to pick up a few more