Sign in to follow this  
sjvcon

First Time Smokin'

First time smokin' Pork Ribs with my oldest today ... we are Bach'in it. Learning some things ... maintaining heat is a ART, and I ain't got it mastered by a long shot!!!!!!!!

But having fun. Smoking a Venison Roast Sunday.

• Like 3

I tried an elk roast last year, came out too dry. I think game meat doesn't have enough fat to be good in a smoker. Hope you prove me wrong. FYI, I wrapped the roast in bacon and that didn't seem to help. Let us know how it comes out.

• Like 1

What kind of smoker you usin? I have some back ribs on right now... electric smoker set it and forget it, just add wood chips every once in a while. Pretty easy to use but getting the meat cooked right can be a challenge.. briskets are hard to get right sometimes. Ribs aren't too bad.

Hope they come out good. Try the 3-2-1 method or with baby backs it's 2-2-1. 2 hours smoking, 2 hours wrapped in foil with apple juice and then 1 hour back in the smoker. Last hour you need to watch close. When the meat pulls away from the bone about 1/8 inch take them off. let em rest for a while and bingo.

Game doesn't have enough fat. You could smoke for an hour or so then wrap in foil the rest of the time.

I've got Tri Tips smoking right now. Mmmmmmm can't wait!

Good Luck and enjoy the ribs. Post up them pictures!

• Like 2

Just a drum smoker with a side heat box. Got it cheap ... been used 3x prior to me getting it.

Doing the 2 - 2 - 1 method and basting a lot. Had trouble getting temp down ... most of the time around 250. Into the second hour of the wrapped time in 10 minutes. Looked really good before they were wrapped.

I will try smoking the deer on lower than normal heat I think. Injecting with apple juice ... maybe I should inject some FAT too!!!!!!!!!!!!! HAHA.

• Like 1

Anyone ever try injecting a roast with honey water (heat water and dissolve honey in it)???

Dont sweat the temp so much. Ive cooked ribs at a perfect 225* with the same results as ribs at 300*. Its more about flavor(seasoning/wood smoke) and pulling them at the correct time. I also use the 2-2-1 method for my ribs.

I want ribs now.. I made aguachile for a potluck my buddy is doing

In addition to my full time job when I was in Montana, I worked 4 nights a week at a Bar and Grill in the Madison valley. Best ribs I have ever had. My boss smoked them in a Bradley smoker for about 3 hours after rubbing them with his magical mixture. He wouldn't tell me what his rub recipe was. Bastard. They were some awesome ribs.

• Like 1

I cheated and sampled ..... DOGGONE those are gonna be good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Pretty good for a first try.post-3141-0-69388800-1404521059_thumb.jpg

• Like 6