Sign in to follow this  
sjvcon

First Time Smokin'

If you wanna get fancy buy a rib rack, it's a cage type deal that cooks them on their side, I have had good results! As far as game meat and smoking.... Like everyone has said, needs more fat. I've had good results with deer sausage (because its cased and mixed with pork) also dove. On a cake pan, marinated dove with green chili and onion, bacon latticed on top, loose tin foil cover. About 30 min at 250 then uncovered for 15 min til the bacon is brown. Best smoked dove I've had. I use the same type of side draft barrel smoker with real wood. Alder for fish, pecan or cherry/apple for pork, and mesquite/hickory/pear for beef or poultry.

• Like 1

I'll need to get a more fuel efficient car to hit your neck of the woods Snap!!!

When you do the deer, after the first hour to get the smoke in, lay bacon over the entire top, and put the roast on a piece of foil, won't be dry that way.

• Like 1

Thanks for the tip. I'll do that.

Coach how could you leave out Romeo Y Julieta, My Father or Tatuaje?

All kidding aside your recommendations were spot on. I haven't had a cigar since moving to Texas.

I have an off set smoker and use apple wood to smoke all of my meats and poultry. Absolutely love smoking! Anything. Those ribs looked great. constant heat is the key to getting a good brisket with ribs you don't have to worry as much. The best thing I have smoked so far was a turkey, brined it for 24 hours then just add a mix of paprika, garlic salt and pepper, add bay leaves into the cavity. I like to marinate my brisket for 24 hours as well and beat the crap out of it with a meat tenderizer. I use a spray bottle full of one can of beer, apple cider vinegar, honey and apple juice, on everything I smoke. Spray it on the proteins every hour or so. For best cooking times and marinades I google it and found ones I liked best. Any questions I am not a pro by any means but I have made a lot of mouths happy happy happy.

The deer meat is now on the rack........

Hows it going? Im starting to get hungry. I could get some truffel potatoes going, blue cheese dressed house salad and a nice sourdough bread. Hearty brown ale and your in business. I should have made one today too, now im really hungry.

Note to self ... Venison Roast that is brined, injected with Apple Juice, rubbed with Sweet Bourbon Rub, peppered, basted with apple cider vinegar/olive oil and bbq sauce/yellow mustard mix, then smoked and wrapped with bacon is DELICIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Smoked it at 300 for an hour, wrapped it and cooked in a puddle of juice for about an hour, then wrapped with bacon and went to 145-150 degrees. It was like butter!!!!!

Now I am getting a beer and relaxing.

• Like 4

This post made me Jones for some ribs. Put some on yesterday using the 2-2-1 method. Went a little too heavy on the rub but they were falling off the bones. Almost dropped some cause they were so tender (dogs not happy that I saved them). Thanks SJVCON. I'm about smoked out for the weekend. I've got hickory farts now.

Forgot pics of the Tri Tips but here's a pic of the ribs.

post-5669-0-51787700-1404737813_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Here's my pair of St. Louis style ribs. 2nd pic is after the foil

wrap (2-2-1)and back on the smoker. I baste them with a homemade sauce every 15 minutes for the last hour. Then off for 10 minutes to rest before chow time.

post-11163-0-39248800-1404741097_thumb.jpg

post-11163-0-57804300-1404741164_thumb.jpg

• Like 2