Sign in to follow this  
Adicted

School me on White Wing Dove Patterns

I have seen in the past month or so huge flocks of white wing (only) dove flying in a southwest direction everytime. Doesnt matter time of day, but I have seen this probably 50+ times. Why Southwest everytime? Why only White winged dove?

I'm seeing mourning doves flying north. Maybe they know something the white wings don't.

A lot of hay fields to your sw, addicted. Maybe looking for chow.

I spent a couple weeks in TX helping a fellow catch pigeons at a feed mill. We set up net canons and touched them off when a good sized flock landed. A good net could catch a thousand birds. It was interesting watching the order of hierarchy on the heaps of corn.

Pigeons first, then White Wings. Then the collard dove would come in and try and push the white wings off before they were done and mourning dove ate last. The little Incas doves didn't seem to care whom they ate with.

PS, we caught about 7500 pigeons in all. They were caged up and sent to VA for a bird shoot. Those flying rats brought $4 ea.

• Like 1

Probably making their way back down south again early. This year they came back pretty early. Crazy lack of winter messing up their pattern perhaps

Good. Maybe I can bust some up come September. Very few last year opening morning.just a bunch or mourning doves and jacks

They typically start heading south around the third week in August especially if the Monsoons are active and the temps are cooled off a bit. I have found that there are usually more White Wings in abundance around Tucson than Phoenix around then but you probably will not see them in the quantities you see now.

• Like 1

last year me and my boys limited out the first 3 days in sept and not one was a white wing

Yeah. We always get that big monsoon storm 3 days before opening morning. You can see them packing up their bags and heading south!

About 40 years ago, I came across a flock of tens of thousands of them WW's down along the Tubac area. You couldn't get within a half mile of them before theyd jump up and put another 1/2 mile between them and you.