Sign in to follow this  
Evinruud

ANYONE GET HIT FOR SHEEP

I got 22 now and at 58 years Young I don't ever plan on gettin drawn. If I do its a bonus. I got 20 for Elk, but whats killed My chances is I been a Non Res. for last 3 draws. And there are 44 non res. with 20 points and I think 21 with more.( I looked at G&F web the other day) Evry body with that many are putting in for the same 2 or 3 units for early rifle bull. So I am not gauranteed for a couple more years. If i was Res. I would be in this year............BOB!

I got 22 now and at 58 years Young I don't ever plan on gettin drawn. If I do its a bonus. I got 20 for Elk, but whats killed My chances is I been a Non Res. for last 3 draws. And there are 44 non res. with 20 points and I think 21 with more.( I looked at G&F web the other day) Evry body with that many are putting in for the same 2 or 3 units for early rifle bull. So I am not gauranteed for a couple more years. If i was Res. I would be in this year............BOB!

A lifetime license would have fixed that problem. I didn't buy one when I left for college and it was a dumb decision. If I ever leave the state again it will be a no brainer.

Ya , I know but couldnt afford it when I left. Thats been eating at Me .Thanks...............BOB!

No , I allways have hope. Its just like Hunt that is going bad ,a good animal can pop up anytime. In 96 I drew a early rifle Bull tag in unit 1 with only 3 points and only 2nd year of trying. They are making Me wait this time tho...............BOB!

So let me ask a 20 or 30 something year old who works 5-6 days a week, not much savings, mediocre equipment, can't afford a guide, much less gas money to scout once a week. Does that guy kill a sheep? Are there odds for it? I'm curious because I've been buying bonus point for many years because if I do draw I can't give it all my attention. I'm sure if I did draw it would be priority # 1 but I've always thought it would be costly.

• Like 1

So let me ask a 20 or 30 something year old who works 5-6 days a week, not much savings, mediocre equipment, can't afford a guide, much less gas money to scout once a week. Does that guy kill a sheep? Are there odds for it? I'm curious because I've been buying bonus point for many years because if I do draw I can't give it all my attention. I'm sure if I did draw it would be priority # 1 but I've always thought it would be costly.

All your questions are irrelevant. #1, you've got to acquire the tag. Unless you've got a health issue or KNOW you'll be unavailable during the month of December, it is imperative you apply for a sheep hunt every year. People who are 5 or 6 points off of max points literally stand no chance of making it to max points in a lifetime of applying. Roll the dice, apply for a sheep unit that historically has tags left in the 1-2 pass. When and if you ever draw, take out a line of credit, whatever it takes. The sheep bug bites hard.
  • Like 2

This is the number one piece of advise all draw consultants give, you can't win if you don't play. I am the person you described to a tee. But with such poor odds for sheep there is just no room to not have your name in the hat every go around.

Think of it this way, if your odds are 1% and you apply 35x in your life, there is a 1 in 3 chance you will draw at some point. If half those years you only buy a point, those odds become 1 in 6. The bonus points don't do a lot to help you until you hit the bonus pass which is not achievable at this point for you and I. For example a person with one off max points has no better than 3% odds for any sheep tag in the state. Whereas someone with only 10 points has closer to 1%. Long story short, you need to apply every year possible if you want a shot at getting the hard tags whether it be lope, early bull tags, the strip, kaibab, dec whitetail, etc

• Like 2

Buying points is an incredible waste of time and money. Sheep are one of the easier animals to kill compared to a deer or elk. The hardest part by far is getting the tag. Unless you have been applying for many years the points are not worth a whole lot.

Desert Bull, I agree. There is alotta States making $ off just points. Wyoming especially. And I am one of them that does it. $125 a year on Deer,Ant. and Elk points. Lottsa people just stacking em up till they are ready to go. Cashed in My Antelope points this year. (6) We shall see if it is worth it.............BOB!

If I remember the numbers right there is still 5 years until the current max pool will be gone thru. Then it starts the next group. Look at the max numbers and figure they knock out around 24 a year to max point holders.

Desert Bull, I agree. There is alotta States making $ off just points. Wyoming especially. And I am one of them that does it. $125 a year on Deer,Ant. and Elk points. Lottsa people just stacking em up till they are ready to go. Cashed in My Antelope points this year. (6) We shall see if it is worth it.............BOB!

I meant specifically for AZ Sheep but it applies to other hunts where it takes max points to have a distinct advantage. I stock pile points too but not for hunts that require max points to be guaranteed a tag.

I just enjoy knowing that there are LOTS of uneducated people about how the draw works. Seems most on this site get the concept, but the general public put in for hunts that offer 0.0% draw odds for sheep. For instance unit (longrifle), for sakes of not educating too many internet lurkers, had over 2100 applicants that applied for the hunt with less than max points and had no chance of even being considered for the tag. Makes me think that understanding the draw odds is such an advantage when applying in our state. Not only for sheep, but for other species as well.

As a non-Res applying for elk, they only seem to apply for the same 3 units. Makes me wonder if they have ever sat down, added up all the money they have pissed away on license and bonus point fees waiting for that SPECIAL tag. Instead they should get drawn for a tag that requires half the points and hire a good guide with the money they saved. Lots of 360" and bigger bulls get killed outside of those 3 units.

• Like 4

I just enjoy knowing that there are LOTS of uneducated people about how the draw works. Seems most on this site get the concept, but the general public put in for hunts that offer 0.0% draw odds for sheep. For instance unit (longrifle), for sakes of not educating too many internet lurkers, had over 2100 applicants that applied for the hunt with less than max points and had no chance of even being considered for the tag. Makes me think that understanding the draw odds is such an advantage when applying in our state. Not only for sheep, but for other species as well.

As a non-Res applying for elk, they only seem to apply for the same 3 units. Makes me wonder if they have ever sat down, added up all the money they have pissed away on license and bonus point fees waiting for that SPECIAL tag. Instead they should get drawn for a tag that requires half the points and hire a good guide with the money they saved. Lots of 360" and bigger bulls get killed outside of those 3 units.

SSSHHHHHHHHH