Sign in to follow this  
deserthntr

What scale do you like?

Ive been using a digital scale that my dad has for my reloading, but im tired of double weighing charges to make sure that the weight is accurate. The scale seems to un-calibrate itself and sometime reads as much as .5 gr difference with the same exact charge. I dont mind taking a while to weigh charges to make sure they arent even .1 grain off, i just hate having to do something twice or sometimes three times to make sure my charges are all the exact same. Is there an accurate digital scale you guys like?? or should i buy one of the balance beam scales?

If you can find the old ohaus RCBS beam scale, they are the best. I paid $300 for mine off eBay.

Rather than spend your money on a scale, might think about a bench rest type powder meter, I have a Harrels that I load nothing but Varget in and most charges are dead on or within one tenth. Just my .02.

If you can find the old ohaus RCBS beam scale, they are the best. I paid $300 for mine off eBay.

$300 I just gave one away.

$300 I just gave one away.
Darn, they are hard to come by. The one I have is getting rare , model 304 I think. I also have the Harrel's bench rest powder measure but mine is is not super accurate with log type powder. I actually use the electronic rcbs powder thrower to get my weights close then put it on my 304 to trickle it off to the precise weight needed . It's really fast that way and super accurate.

I have been picking up gear to start reloading and just got a OHAUS also off ebay but spent quite a bit less (Sorry Vowell) Not quite ready to load but soooooon

• Like 1

My RCBS digital scale seems to work really well.

You could use the electronic scale along with a beam scale and check each charge. The biggest issues I have seen cause problems are ceiling fans, AC, non-level surfaces. Also, some powders meter extremely well and some don't. Ramshot Magnum so far has proven awesome for me. It is right there in performance with H1000 and Retumbo but it is a ball powder so measures like a dream.

• Like 1

My RCBS digital scale seems to work really well.

You could use the electronic scale along with a beam scale and check each charge. The biggest issues I have seen cause problems are ceiling fans, AC, non-level surfaces. Also, some powders meter extremely well and some don't. Ramshot Magnum so far has proven awesome for me. It is right there in performance with H1000 and Retumbo but it is a ball powder so measures like a dream.

I've had really good luck as well with the ram shot mag powder in my 338 lapua. And my RCBS digital scale seems to read it extremely easy and consistantly. The scale is a little sensitive when loading powders like h1000. Just gotta have a little patience.
  • Like 1

I like my RCBS 1500 Dispenser/Scale. It's a godsend for rifle reloading, saves a ton of time and each load is consistent if you don't mind occasionally nipping a little piece of powder here and there.

For me, the set is also a nightmare for handguns as I personally am just looking for plinking ammo and it's painfully tedious to charge each shell with 4-6 grains of powder, likewise W231 gets stuck in the dispensing tube and its a PITA to clean/remove.

Previously I used a RCBS uniflow charger at XX grains then would trickle in exact charge on a RCBS 10/10 scale for rifle loads. That worked good too, just a bit tedious. Very happy with the 1500, but do wish I hung on to my uniflow and beam as that system for my .38 and .45 was way better for my needs as all I did was check the uniflow 3-4 times in a row on a scale and get to work. I'm quite certain the charges weren't consistent to the grain, but as I said if you're just slinging lead it doesn't matter much. Some might say it's a waste to reload for pistols on a single stage press anyway...

If you are willing to be patient and diligent with checking/calibrating most any scale should work alright.