Sign in to follow this  
Shedhunteraz

Idiots are still out (huge fire)

My boys and I heading back to cabin from range in payson and see nice big fire on rim rd n of payson. Yeh opening the forest after little rained helped.

post-8631-0-38756700-1405970302_thumb.jpg

that sucks...another fire in sedona also...plane crash caused it and 4 people died. Sad to hear

That plane crash hits pretty close to home for me and my family as our family knows the family of the two young men, and quite possibly one of the young women, which is from Canada.

the 4th young woman we dont know but she was visiting from germany, how sad for their family's but they are in a much better place.

just praying for their families right now.

My boys and I heading back to cabin from range in payson and see nice big fire on rim rd n of payson. Yeh opening the forest after little rained helped.

It could be a controlled burn

Could be, but controlled burns should be conducted when humidity is high, not dry.

That 'controlled burn' that ravaged Los Alamos, NM years back was done despite the fact NFS was warned by meteorologists that conditions were wrong for burning.

• Like 1

Could have been lightning caused. Happens quite a bit actually . Looking out of Cottonwood yesterday I counted 4 different plumes of smoke. One was two were close to Sedona area one towards Flagstaff and then the other appeared to be on the rim.

There are currently 4 or 5 resource benefit burns, all lightning strikes, that are burning on the Coconino NF right now, including the one you mention in the OP. I work with one of the biologists who helps with management issues and they are all burning light to moderate and cleaning up the areas they are burning in. They are all boxed in and unless a major wind gusts causes a spot fire, they aren't going anywhere. You can't compare this (or these conditions) to what happened at Los Alamos. Those were red flag winds combined with super dry conditions. That fire should have never been put on the ground. These conditions are actually pretty good for resource benefit fires.

Yeh that is what my wife said. That is a huge control burn and getting bigger

I was up scouting Saturday and there are controlled burn signs out. On another note... every place we checked had a ton of Elk sign. Whoop whoop.

Actually, IA born; the winds kicked up after the fire was started by NFS there just ne of Jemez Springs, Was mighty dry too, you'll notice our dew point is going down.

I don't expect any winds will be kicking up here though, just your typical low level jets along the rim. What say you?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for removing the fuel and it was started naturally. But its easy to worry when we are headed into a dry spell not a wet one.