rugerman

Found this today

That is sad. I found a calf elk with its back leg wound up between the to strand and the next on down. She had been dead for a few days and last month up on the Paria we found a huge owl with its wing caught in the top strand it looked as if it just died.

real sad!

azyoung

Yes, unfortunatly have found deer, elk, an owl, bald eagles and antelope. Sometimes you make it in time, sometimes you don't. Always unfortunate.

post-233-1170026263.jpg we figure we missed a chance to help by just an hour or two. Ever find anything like this??

I found the same situation some years back in 20A near Cleator. I was actually bowhunting for deer and found a doe with her legs tangled just like the one you found. It's not a pretty sight to see an animal suffer that way.

I will tell a story that is hard to believe but it is the truth.

When i was first born my dad had a Mule deer hunt down around the thatcher area. He came across a small spike buck stuck in a fence. The head was all wound up tight and it was bleeding very badly. One horn was just hanging on by a thread. The buck had a cut that ran clear across the top of the head and down that one side with the badly wunded horn. as soon as my dad cut the young buck free he was off and running. My dad told the rancher that there would be a dead young buck not far from the ranch. he was sure it would bleed to death.

When i was 6 years old or so we hunted that ranch again. Well he hunted it almost evry year. This time the New ranch hand that took care of the place for the old ranch owner (dieing of heart problems) told my dad he had seen a few bucks closer to the house than my dad hunted. He said one he only caught a flash of one or two times was a monster buck. Well my dad and I came across this group of bucks laying in the afternoon shade. My dad picked the biggest one and took a shot. When we walked up to this monster Old buck it only had a horn on one side and on the other was a small button coverd by hair with a long scar from one side of the head down over the horn cuticle area and down the side of the Monsters head.

My dad just set there for a few minutes looking and then told me the story and said i always wonderd what had hapend to this young buck. He said he felt as if he had killed an old friend. That was the only buck my dad killed that disapointed him.

TRUE TRUE TRUE.

I have seen many young deer and elk in barbed wire, But never that soon after they had expired.

Cool. Do you still have the polaris you got from me or have you sold it already. I did like the camper. It was just right for hunting for one or two people. I like this home made toy hauler as well. It is a guy i know that is a prospector up in northern nevada.

OOPS do not mean to jack the thread .

post-171-1170041959_thumb.jpg

Wow.........................that is sad.

I couldn't imagin finding something like that.

She looks healthy from the pic. Was she hurt previously or did she look weak? Injuries?

Looks like she just timed the jump wrong.

:ph34r:

Actually this was a button buck that looked healthy otherwise.

AG that was a great story.....

I lied we have found something like that before. this was in Ash Fork, not Africa.

post-233-1170200516.jpg

No its not a condor

Back in 04 in unit 9 while scouting for a archery bull hunt my buddy and I found A poached bull. Rifle shot in the gut, he was bloated but had not opened up yet. I know he was fresh because all the birds around still hadn't done any damage. During the hunt we came across three different cow elk trapped in the fence. None of them were fresh, very sad feeling when you come across these things.

I have seen it quite a number of times with deer, antelope and barbary sheep. I have gotten there in time and released two deer that were both hung up by a single back leg. Both deer bounded away looking uninjured. I have also released 2 antelope that were hung up the same way. In many areas of NM where there is sheep fencing the antelope have learned to jump fences and I have seen them do it many times. Both antelope that I released had dislocated their hip joint and I gave G&F a call and they told me that they had tried to fix other ones with the same injury and they could never get the joint to stay together and there was really nothing they could do. The first one was in fairly poor condition after probably being hung up for about a day, so they just shot it. The second one had probably only been stuck for an hour and was getting along pretty well on three legs, so we left it be to at least give it a chance. It is always heartbreaking to see, unless you get there in time and can let the animal go and it appears uninjured.