Sign in to follow this  
Coues assassin

Salt?

So this may be a dumb question but I want to set out some Cameras and was going to put some salt out to experiment. What do you guys do? Buy a bag from the grocery store and sprinkle? Buy a block from the feed store? The blocks they have at sportsmans? Or? Also should a dig a small hole to place it in and wet it?

I buy the blocks from the feed store and cut them into 3rds. Throw a third down and walk away. Works for me.

I bought a bag of salt from the Feed store dug a hole and mixed the salt in with the dirt. Then I wet it.

I bought a bag of salt from the Feed store dug a hole and mixed the salt in with the dirt. Then I wet it.

How did that turn out for you? How many days until they hit your salt?

if there are any cattle in the area, dont wet it, if there isnt then wet it and the deer will hit it faster. if you do wet it with cattle around the salt will be gone in a week.

+1 about the cattle.

Pick a good spot, one hat has cover, you can hunt or sneak up on without disturbing the area. Then leave it, the longer it's there the more productive it will be. If you don't want to buy a block get rock salt, make a depression and leave it. Blocks are my favorite

I picked up a 50# block at the feed store today and I'm going to break it up and put it in a little hole on 3 diff cameras il take pictures of the set up. Then il try a bag of salt and wet it like some suggested later next week on some different cameras!

I picked up a 50# block at the feed store today and I'm going to break it up and put it in a little hole on 3 diff cameras il take pictures of the set up. Then il try a bag of salt and wet it like some suggested later next week on some different cameras!

what feed store?

• Like 1

Woah woah woah, so if you put down salt and don't wet it, the cows wont destroy it??

what feed store?
Marana feed off I-10 and Twin peaks frontage road. It was $10 for a 50# block
  • Like 2

So I went out this morning to set up two of my cameras over the salt I got at the feed store. It was a 50# block and I broke it into two and my buddy and I each carried half in our packs it was a 1.5 mile hike in. We found a spot that looked good dug the block down a little bit in hopes it won't get pushed out of camera view. There are no cows currently in the area so i will give it two weeks before I go check it! But here is what my two set ups look like

post-11647-0-81701300-1406744774_thumb.jpg

post-11647-0-61212100-1406744789_thumb.jpg

I really like the set-up of your second block with room for a deer or two to work around it at the same time. The first block however, IMO, is set pretty close to that creosote and a long tined buck in velvet may not like to scratch on that brittle shrub, as it does look like you're in Mule deer country. Maybe it doesn't matter but I've noticed in TC pictures bigger bucks preferring one salt block over another in the same photo.

I also like your choice of the red mineral block and digging it down a bit, these choices help conceal your area for sure. On the contrary, I have always just left my blocks over the soil, and on many photos, you can see both does and bucks move the salt block and start licking underneath where it just was. I prefer blocks for a few reasons, but agree with everyone that says the deer like the salt most when it is mixed in with the dirt. I would imagine once your spot starts getting hit hard you will see the deer dig around the edges of that block.

I do really like your set-up though and I'm trying to be critical in a positive light. Since you posted pictures, I kind of assumed you might be looking for that. If not, my apologies for butting in. Good luck with your new spots!

I take rock salt and put it in those gallon tea jugs or bigger juice jugs. I put in about half water and half salt. I will let them sit for a bit and I shake them once in awhile to disolve the salt. When they are good and disolved I will pour it where I want it I have had deer hit this much faster than just placing out salt. With that said I have probally started 20 salt licks over the years and have only hunted 1 of them. Some are still being hit hard and some just never got much use.