CSNeoM4A1

Which caliber of tikka t3 lite for me?

This will be my 5th year hunting coues deer. I have been successful 2 of those years using my Remington 700 AAC in .308 with a 20inch barrel. One year was 300 yards and the other was 350 yards. As you can tell from last years picture my set up is quite heavy (13 lbs ready to hunt). It's set up as a target rifle and I want to lighten it up a bit.

I am going to be purchasing a tikka t3 lite, hopefully the fluted super lite version. My question is what caliber should I get. I have no preference so anything is fair game.

I want to hunt deer and in the future elk up to a max of 600 yards or so. My collection consists of the 308 and an ar15 currently. Do I get another 308 to have ammo commonality or a larger caliber to make it out to 600 yards easier? If a larger caliber which one? Also, what threading is everyone getting on their t3 super lites? If possible I would love to be able to use the suppressor some times. Also I am willing to transfer the scope over or purchase a vortex viper 4-16 x 44.

The rifle in the picture is the R700 .308 AAC 20 inch with the vortex viper pst 6-24x50 FFP and YHM .30 cal Ti suppressor.

post-12606-0-40463800-1406851064_thumb.jpg

stay with the 308 or go to the 7mm

you can use the 7mm on anything out there

my wife has a 22-250 super lite and it is a great shooter and super lite

have fun deciding

260 if they make it in that caliber (not sure if they do), or 7rem mag..... the 7 is a great round, especially if you reload.

Compare ballistics, you'll go with a .270WSM.

• Like 1

260 if they make it in that caliber (not sure if they do), or 7rem mag..... the 7 is a great round, especially if you reload.

I don't reload and don't plan on doing it. Would that change your recommendation at all?

So cabelas shows the caliber options for the superlite as 308, 30'06, 270, 300 win mag, 7mm rem mag. I don't know if sportsmans has any other options available.

In my opinion, factory ammo is fine, but expensive. You'll need to test, probably,a bunch of different Brands and loads to find the best shooting one. Then, you should buy a bunch, 200+ of that exact load and preferably the same lot number.

I like the 270 wsm, but if you want to go 600yds

on elk I would go 300wsm. I think it can be ordered

but if not 300wm or 7 mag.

What are your thoughts on the scope? Transfer the 6-24x50 over? Or get a 4-16x44 so I can use low mounts? I had to use a raised stock and a stock pack to get a comfortable cheek weld in the 308. It seems I am more comfortable with a really low cheek weld. Just concerned that 16x won't be quite enough for 600 yards. I shot at 12-14x on my 350 yard buck last year.

Keep what you got, shoulder the load, and buy some awesome binoculars.

It's funny you say that because I bought a new pack for this fall precisely to carry this gun easier. I picked up an eberlestock gunslinger 2. In the past I used an external frame with a backpack slung over it. I simply hooked my rifles sling over one of the side posts. It worked alright but it made the weight on my back terribly lop sided.

As far as binoculars I have been using the pair in the picture. Bushnell customs 10x50 with a 7 degree field of view. Eventually I wouldn't mind upgrading but I have been pretty happy with them so far. I use them off a tripod pretty extensively.

I have the 270 WSM and absolutely love it. Best shooting rifle I have ever owned. I don't even shoot anything else in my gun safe anymore. I have the Vortex 6.5-20X44 on it right now but recently bought the 6.5-20X50 to swap out before I hunt with it again.