couesdeer77

Unit 16 A

A buddy of mine drew 16A on his third choice. He is not a member but I'm trying to help him out a bit. He is looking for some area to hunt mule deer. He does not need anyones honey hole just some good referance points to start and or areas to scout. Its a big zone and breaking it down would help.

Thanks in advance

couesdeer77

It used to be a great unit in my teenage years back in the 80's... check out the hills just northwest of Wikieup.

• Like 1

Have looked at the AF&G web site and it is pretty basic info. I know its a start but he was hoping to avoid the masses. Thanks though

Thanks brother - Go Broncos

• Like 1

You definitely don't have to worry about a honeyhole!! I have hunted this unit a lot the deer are in there, but it is a hard hunt!! Get a good map & find the water sources. Down by Alamo Lake there are deer, but don't get to high of expectations on killing a trophy!!!! If you want to avoid the crowded areas stay away from the Hualapies & Chicken Springs road, but there is a reason those areas are crowded that is where most of the deer are.

A super thanks for the info. Much appreciated

Honey holes in 16a yea right.I lion hunt all over this unit and there are deer there,but in very small #s.You can find a buck just about anywhere and there is no place better than another.Glass a lot if you find deer sign and keep glassing.Most of 16a is very good to glass a lot of open country.Just about any unit in region 3 would have been better.

Thanks, I will pass the info on. Appreciated

I live in the unit and spend alot of time in and around the Hualapais and surrounding deserts, hiking, shedding, archery deer, quail hunting, shooting and now elk scouting. There are bucks there, but they are not concentrated. Most water sources have a resident deer herd that uses them, but that means a handful of dear for a couple square miles in most areas. There is a reason the 16A rifle has been literally one of the worst 2 or three hunters success rate hunts in the ENTIRE STATE for 2 or three years at least. I don't rifle deer hunt anymore, but for most people(according to what I see and the abysmal kill rates), tough tough hunt.

The buck in my avatar is a 16 a rifle hunt, second day of hard glassing. Mid afternoon bedded behind and under a mesquite in the mckracken mountain range. Good Luck

• Like 1

out2hunt what year did you take that buck in 16a? Nice buck for that unit they are far & few between.

Last Jan I saw a few shooter bucks, but as everyone said 16a seems to be a tough hunt. Lots of glassing opportunities and access is very good, so you should be able to get something if you put in the time and are not picky. I'm used to some of the CA zones where they do a deer survey, take the number of deer and double it to figure out how many tags to offer. As tough as 16 a is, it's still a lot better than that.

Thanks guys again much appreciated. Sounds like a tough hunt with the extra effort paying dividens