Sign in to follow this  
azshtr

Elk 22 S

My son and I have a late Nov Bull 22S hunt. We have been scouting to learn the areas and roads. That is fun in itself. As we plan upcoming scout trips and where to go... If you don't mind me asking a generic question... how far south have you all seen elk? I'm seeing nice country that I think might be a bit low, but sometimes you can be surprised. I have not added it to my list of destinations yet for the near future as I want to see other country and don't want to waste time. I'm looking at 3800 ft or so for this area. You can PM me if you want. Thanks.

Guest akaspecials

A week or two ago I saw a roadkill cow elk on the side of the beeline (SR87) a few miles south of the Roosevelt turnoff. They get pretty low....

my feeling is the farther south you go, the thinner the heard.

but they are down there. had the tag last year, saw plenty of elk in the desert. didn't get the big boy i was after but i did fill the freezer. it was a great hunt, one of the funnest i've ever done.

the bigger bulls that i heard got taken last year came from higher elevations, but i know there were some big boys down low, too.

Well it seems my hunches might be right. Adding new areas to my scout list. This is fun.

Lots of raghorns. There will be a very large number of hunters or "spotters" all over the northern portion of the unit. I couldn't believe how the tag increase affected the quality of this hunt. I would try to focus on the high portions of the western side of the unit if you're physically able to. Or find a pocket down south. I've heard of bulls way way far down south in the unit.... Much further than what others have posted in this thread.

I talked to a guy last year who "claimed" to have trail camra pictures of Elk in the Superstition MTNS. I've also talked with a few people who have seen them around Saguaro Lake.

I took this picture 6 years ago of an elk rub, about 30 miles as a crow flies from Mesa... elk are within 12 miles of Phoenix city limits this spring.

aDSC00655.jpg

Awesome info guys. Thanks. Keep it coming!