COOSEFAN

The Journey Into Mexico! (start to finish)

Amazing. Best of all you got to share the experience with your dad. Congrats to both of you.

i JUST saw and handled these two bucks and holy cow the pics do not do justice! they are awesome! the mass is amazing! they are both great bucks!

Congrats, Jim to you and your Dad. That is quite the pair! Double Pedestal Mount, maybe??? You guys have a great story to go with them! Best father and son hunt I have heard of in a while! 'Goose' sure is a Great guy to hunt with.... and you guys took some Great bucks!!!!

I agree with you on how you scored your buck, but had a question on your Dad's..... I was told that if a split point appeared to share a common base that you bisect that base and take both measurements off of the beam. I can't tell from the picture, but doesn't your Dad's buck kind look like a common base? Not that it matters... :blink: ... He is aToad!!! No matter what! I too have a ton of questions on how to score Non-typ........

Congrats, Again!!!!!!!

Thanks again to all, you are all too kind!

Yeah....."Goose" is a blast to hunt with, we've had alot of good times!

I honestly don't know about splitting the shared base and measuring from the beam, if it's true, than Pop's buck grosses over 110", but I don't believe that is the case with his. It is fairly visible to see it's a 2 point frame with an extra point branching off the G2, so....that's how I scored it. I would love to know what is correct.......I think most cases are decided by several official measurers who agree on what is a fair way to score it. I had 7 guys around me when I scored both these bucks and we all agreed on scoring Pop's buck this way.

Does a 2 point with eye guards get 4 mass measurements? I have historically only scored 3 mass measurements on 2 points. Kind of like a 3 point with no eye guards would only get 3 mass measurements (I think - could be wrong). Does the non typical point coming off the G2 effect whether there are 3 or 4 mass measurements made? Dont know either.

Please dont get me wrong, it is still an incredible buck. Just interesting conversation and always nice to learn things. Chris.

You get 4 mass measurements per side no matter what.........I'm about 99.9% sure of this :huh: On Pop's buck for example, you get the H1 at the smallest point below the G1 and above the burr, the H2 is the smallest between the G1 and G2. He doesn't have a defined G3 so I believe you measure the distance from the G2 out to the tip of the beam, break it into thirds so you have 2 dividing points between the thirds and that is where you get the H3 and H4 measurement. If you have a typical 4 point buck, you get the H4 between the G3 and G4 and NO mass measurement between the G4 and the tip. Basically, if you don't have enough tines to determine where the mass measurements fall, you score it similar to how an Antelope is measured. I hope a more knowledgeable person adds to this......I would love to know for sure, but this is what I believe. Thanks again to all. JIM>

Circumferences are taken at the narrowest place as detailed in Figure C for each measurement. If the brow point is missing, take H-1 and H-2 at the smallest place between the burr and the G-2 point. If the G-4 point is missing, take H-4 halfway between the G-3 point and the tip of the main beam.

This is direct from BC scoring and I believe is not written very clearly. It is easy to see why there is confusion over this. What would you do if you had a buck with a brow tine and a main beam only. Oh by the way. Congratulations on some great bucks. As always the pictures are professional quality. Congratulations again.

Bob

Circumferences are taken at the narrowest place as detailed in Figure C for each measurement. If the brow point is missing, take H-1 and H-2 at the smallest place between the burr and the G-2 point. If the G-4 point is missing, take H-4 halfway between the G-3 point and the tip of the main beam.

This is direct from BC scoring and I believe is not written very clearly. It is easy to see why there is confusion over this. What would you do if you had a buck with a brow tine and a main beam only. Oh by the way. Congratulations on some great bucks. As always the pictures are professional quality. Congratulations again.

Bob

Thanks for checking on that, I think I was on the right track. If you only had a brow tine and a beam....your H1 would be between the browtine and the burr, measure the distance from the browtine to the tip of the beam, break it into quarters, and at each dividing line between each quarter, you get your 3 other mass measurements. Sounds good to me :huh: JIM>

Alright, I got a couple more pics of the other deer that was taken about 10 minutes before Pops shot his on the first day, two canyons over. This is Dustin from CO. and he was helped by Perry from Flagstaff. These boys stalked and waited this buck out for 3 hours before finally getting a 450 yrd shot! Dustin made a perfect shot and then had to cross the big canyon and hike to the top to get his trophy! These pics don't do this buck any justice, he is short tined but has incredible mass and wicked eyegaurds along with a huge body!. His gross score was right around 106". I killed my buck behind and down the backside of the hill where this picture was taken and had witnessed this buck and my buck fighting last year less than 200 yrds from both kill sites! I actually got this buck on video last year walking down the hill less than 100 yrds from where this picture was taken as well! It's no wonder it's one of my favorite spots! Thanks, JIM>

DustinandPerry.jpg

DustinsBuck.jpg

Holy eyeguards. Love the unique shape of those things. He has got mass up the wazzo also. I like this place just by the looks of it and 2 109 inch bucks and a 106 coming out of it makes it even better.

This buck is actually somewhat palmated below the G2 and G3 on both sides because of all the mass, and if you took a circumference measurement at the base of each eyegaurd, it's almost as big as the bases of the beams.....he actually looks like a young bull moose when you look at it top-down......wish I had pics of it, but you get the idea. JIM>

Jim are you still awake, talking about your Mexico hunt. Go to bed already!!!

Jim are you still awake, talking about your Mexico hunt. Go to bed already!!!

I'd go to bed if someone would stop PM'n me :angry: :P

For circumference measurements, Jim is right when he says all bucks get four (if we are talking B&C rules). Jim I believe the correct way to score you dad's buck is to just measure from the g-2 to the end of the main beam and cut that in half. Then you take the circumference measurement at the halfway point. You use that same measurement twice. You don't divide the distance into thirds like you did and take two separate measurements. You just use that last measurement twice. Another example....if you had a spike buck and you wanted to score it, it's mass measurements would be taken halfway up the spike and written down four times.

Regarding common base points, yes, you can divide them up, but only if the outline of the base is clearly a figure eight if you took a cross section of it. It looks to me like that is not the case on your Dad's buck so I think you are completely correct to count it as a G-2 with a non-typical point coming off it.

And on your buck, it's hard to tell how to measure that "inside the spread" point. To be a normal point it has to come off the top of the main beam and not the side. But I think you are probably right that it's fairest and most likely that that point is a matched typical point.

Amanda

thanks for the edification.

man that third buck sure has got a big ole fat neck - looks like something from saskatchewan. NICE.

Thanks for posting. Chris.

For circumference measurements, Jim is right when he says all bucks get four (if we are talking B&C rules). Jim I believe the correct way to score you dad's buck is to just measure from the g-2 to the end of the main beam and cut that in half. Then you take the circumference measurement at the halfway point. You use that same measurement twice. You don't divide the distance into thirds like you did and take two separate measurements. You just use that last measurement twice. Another example....if you had a spike buck and you wanted to score it, it's mass measurements would be taken halfway up the spike and written down four times.

Regarding common base points, yes, you can divide them up, but only if the outline of the base is clearly a figure eight if you took a cross section of it. It looks to me like that is not the case on your Dad's buck so I think you are completely correct to count it as a G-2 with a non-typical point coming off it.

And on your buck, it's hard to tell how to measure that "inside the spread" point. To be a normal point it has to come off the top of the main beam and not the side. But I think you are probably right that it's fairest and most likely that that point is a matched typical point.

Amanda

Thanks Amanda. I will remember that the next time I accidentally shoot a spike. :)

Jim,

Looks like you did really good filling clients tags and finding a great buck for yourself with limited time. Congrats to you & POPS on some great bucks. We need to do a coues hunt together sometime.

Jason