MULEPACKHUNTER

Current routine

I am wondering how many of us are in some sort of a routine as far as day to day fitness.

So what are some of the routines you are doing now to stay healthy and fit?

My current load which has stepped up from recent weeks fighting will power!

I am 42 and 6'2" 210 lbs. Dont know my fat percent but I am looking to lean down to 200 before Aug 22.

Lake open water swim 3 days a week while towing Kayak aprox 30 minutes followed by aprox 30 minute light run on Lake trails.(Brick is tech term)

2 days a week ride mountain bike aprox 30 minutes followed by 20 to 30 minute light run (Brick is tech term)

3 days a week I do simple pushups, situps, pull ups workout whenever I have time.

I always sit on an exercise ball on the computer.

This is my work week training, on the weekends I always try to work in scouting as fitness like this past weekend I hiked with my pack (40lbs) aprox 16 miles on and off trails over 2 days scouting. The same is coming for this weekend.

I try never to leave home without my gym bag that helps.

As far as diet I try to eat a balance of all food groups, I do drink wey protien shakes after big workouts and generally for lunch daily.

I do not own a microwave oven.

I do not eat out much at all with the exception of sushi. Zero fast food.

Zero Soda

Very little beer.

Next event planned is Offroad Triathlon at tempe town lake in October. (Sprint distance)

Saturday mornings a few times a month I can be found at the local Motocross track running 5 or 6 7 to 8 lap motos for a full body workout.

I would say trail running and swimming are my 2 favorite workouts by far other than Backpacking.

• Like 1

Trail running for me also. Anywhere from a few miles around the neighborhood to marathon distance.Some days I will stop and do push ups every 1/2 mile or jog next to my kids while they ride their bikes. I also like to weight train. I try to mix it up and keep it interesting.

Stairs is a good mention for sure. I don't do the gym right now but when I did the stair machine was great. Try skipping every other step man that hurts.

I am currently doing the beach body insanity program. My hunts don't start till November so I'm goning to add hiking with a pack sept and oct.

Man you guys make me feel fat and lazy! :D

Insanity is a good name for that workout...I couldn't even handle the baseline test when I tried it.

I try to lift 3 or 4 times a week but just with dumb bells at the house.

Run 2 times a week about 2.5 miles each time.

So what is better wind sprints or jogging a couple miles for cardio?

I lift 3-4 days a week as well. I used to be extremely committed to my workouts and my diet was pretty tight but a houseful of teenagers and the crazy schedules we all deal with has made it tough.

Posterior chain... posterior chain... It is incredibly important in general, and also for hunting, to lead with training the posterior chain. After a long battle with shoulder issues I had to admit, like most people, we train for looks first and health second. Regarding hunting, carrying a pack is brutal on untrained back, shoulders, neck, and hips having big arms, and chest are of limited use (but it might depend on what you are hunting ;) ).

No one mentioned sprints, potentially better than long bouts of cardio if you want to be in hunting shape. Think about the intermittent work you do hunting, it is not a race so you can stop most of the time to catch your breath and slow your heart rate, then your off again until the next ridge, wash, etc.

I think the beachbody, insanity, etc. workouts are pretty good for an inexpensive get it done at home workout as well as getting in hunting shape. For me personally I need a gym and the focus, mindset, etc that comes with showing up there.

I guess they both have their place. Like was mentioned, when hunting you usually hit a hill then stop. So I would think sprints would be good for that. But I'm sure marathon runners run distance to get their stamina up. My 2 cents, I can't say enough about how well you can tackle hills after using a stairmaster/step mill consistently at a moderate pace.

• Like 1

Lung capacity and probably endurance.

Do sprints if you can, you can start slow and build up, always walk, do jumping jacks, or something to warm up and try and do at least some stretching when you are done. Also stairs, biking or swimming, jogging if you must but long range running is awfully tough on your body in the long term. Sprints will also get you results the fastest and require the least amount of time investment on training days.

Good article from one of the top trainers in the world on sprints for fitness.

http://www.poliquingroup.com/ArticlesMultimedia/Articles/Article/989/Eight_Reasons_Everyone_Should_Do_Sprints.aspx

• Like 1

I do the stairmaster for 30 minutes 3-5 times per week depending on my schedule. The one I like is the type that looks like an escalator. It has a program than will alternate between fast and slow at 2 minute intervals. So you get the hill climb and then level off effect. 30 minutes of that on level 7 will wipe me out.

Right after the stairs I go straight to the leg machines and do a lot of medium heavy weights as fast as I can on each machine while my heart rate is still elevated from the stairs.

Then grab a couple of 15 lb dumbbells and walk up and down the stairs, taking two steps at a time.

8 weeks ago I went on a 20 grams of carbs per day diet. Have dropped close to 20 lbs yet still eat when ever I feel hungry. Just no bread, sugar, potatoes, flour, etc.

Mostly eggs, cheese, lettuce, celery, all natural peanut butter, chicken and tuna.