Sign in to follow this  
ready2hunt

Fossils

While I was out this past weekend picking up my cams I came across an area with a number of fossilized shells. I only suspected that is what they were by how they looked. I met with an archaeologist and she confirmed they are fossils and suggested I sent them in to the university for testing. The shell which is slightly larger weights 2x's as much as the smaller so it would be interesting to see if there is something inside. I will be going back soon to see what else the area holds.

Anyone else find stuff like this while there are out and about? I would be interested to see.

post-8413-0-49730900-1407952805_thumb.jpg

post-8413-0-02687800-1407952813_thumb.jpg

post-8413-0-25093500-1407952821_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Neat find! I usually find fossils like that in areas with lots of limestone. I will have to see if I can find some pics of them. I LOVE Fossils! I go to the Tucson Gem and Mineral show every year just to look at the gigantic assortment of fossils they have.

• Like 1

There's lots of them in the hills around Sierra Vista. There you find the shells of an extinct fresh water bivalve.

Petrified wood, mammoth bones, tusks and the occasional Brachiosaurus in them there hills.

Cool fossils. Like Amanda pointed out they are typically associated with limestone and be found in most of the white pitted rocks up on the rim.

Guest oneshot

Cool finds Ready2Hunt...

Here is some fossilised bone/teeth from the Arkansas River in Okl.City, a stop-over for a few hours on my back to NYfor hunting season.

There are alot of rib bones, larger legs bones of everything from 3-Toed Slough's, camels and Bison Bison the oldest of the buffalo(4000-6000years old) and arrowheads to be found in the gravel bars in the middle of the Ark. River.

My best find would have to be the complete Bison Bison skull plate, I had found half skulls and busted-up ones, but this one got brought home to hang on the wall.

Other photos are Ark. River finds also, a Hopewell point, camel and bison teeth, bison leg bones in hand and set with other fossilised bone.

(You have to treat river/lake fossilised bone with a mixture of aceitone and varnish, to seal against air, if you dont treat it, the bone will crumble and fall apart...)

post-1378-0-17740000-1407954417_thumb.jpg

post-1378-0-32677600-1407954432_thumb.jpg

post-1378-0-34251000-1407954454_thumb.jpg

post-1378-0-66909500-1407954480_thumb.jpg

Oneshot, that's a beautiful collection!

Ready2hunt, Lots of shell fossils on most the roads heading north off the 300 road on the rim. Love showing the kids and having them find them, they look exactly like the ones you found.

• Like 1

I've found these on the Rim. Also smaller "clam" type shells on the Rim along the deep canyons. Seems to support the Great Flood.

• Like 1

I've seen shells like that north of Seligmen and in Unit 24. If you take them to get ID and dated please post it up.

• Like 1