trphyhntr

Gluten

always see people talking about gluten free. humans have been eating gluten for over 3,000 years, gluten free has only been popular for about 3 years. just something to think about.

• Like 1

Eat all the Gluten you want. People like me that are allergic to it will limit or avoid it. I do think gluten free is a fad for most, but not for people with allergies to it.

IMO it is not gluten people are allergic to but the new strings on wheat that are mutated and manmade. Every piece of wheat or gluten product we eat is no longer the natural form but a manmade variety. The wheat you eat nowadays barely resembles wheat from the 50's. It is sad really and you cant even buy seeds from a real plant anymore and grow your own as it is all the mutated variety

the seeds in the 50's had been breed and genetically modified also and were probably saturated in some serious bug killer, anyways. celiac disease is starting to be like add, vastly over diagnosed. im sure some of you do have celiac disease, it affects about 1:150 people. I just see it all the time, people take out gluten when gluten has nothing to do with their weight loss issues.

• Like 1

IMO it is not gluten people are allergic to but the new strings on wheat that are mutated and manmade. Every piece of wheat or gluten product we eat is no longer the natural form but a manmade variety. The wheat you eat nowadays barely resembles wheat from the 50's. It is sad really and you cant even buy seeds from a real plant anymore and grow your own as it is all the mutated variety

The seeds from the 50's barely resembled the seeds from the 1900's. The seeds from the 1900's barely resemble the seeds from the 1800's. Life spans of today are longer then the 50's, which are longer then the 1900's which were longer then the 1800's. Some people don't realize how good we have it in this modern world. If you've got so little to be worried about (ie starvation) in your life that you need to worry about the way your wheat was bred then you've got it pretty good. Also, just to remind you, gluten is in wheat. Wheat is not genitically modified.

• Like 3

gluten intolerance is very much on an individual basis and can have varied effects from digestive issues to migraines(It is a big list) , Celiac Disease is not the only thing effected by gluten but has been the most known concern for some time. If you suspect any issues could be from gluten there is no harm cutting it out of a diet, but often needs to completely cut and done for a period longer than 3 weeks...

Averagejoe ... he is saying wheat is not a GMO crop and he is correct ... there are 6 GMO crops in the US ... Corn , Soy, Cotton Seed, Canola, Sugar Beets, and squash ! Natural deviants by cross breeding to create new strains are different the GMO ....

getting at that it makes no sense to stop eating gluten because your neighbor said they lost 10lbs after not eating it.

You are right, but if after eating meals with gluten a person notices signs of celiac disease, abdominal pain to diarrhea it could be very possible that they have celiac or and intolerance to gluten. Any thng affecting your intestines will limit the ability to absorb the proper nutrients from the food you eat and could have an effect on weight, a pendulum that swings both ways. If any suspects gluten to be a reaosn for an ailment there is no harm in eliminating gluten to see if the effects are positive... Diagnoses for any gluten intolerance and even celiac is very difficult and it is often the reason many try eliminating it....

I have some real life experience with this so called fad. After over 25 years of taking medication for stomach problems, and visiting at least 7 different doctors, including the Mayo Clinic I decided to cut gluten and dairy products out of my diet. It was a life changing experience. Within a week I was almost off my prescriptions. At two weeks I was off them completely and really starting to feel much better. It didn't take long before I was feeling great and having no more debilitating stomach pains. My sleep habits were drasticaly improved and my well being was even better. I wasn't trying to loose weight, but did lose almost 25 pounds in three months. I don't have celiac disease, but I do know some people that do. If they eat gluten, it is very dangerous for them.

Until you have a medical issue and try everything to fix it, you really have no idea how bad it is and how it disrupts your everyday life and your family around you. I had never heard of a gluten free diet, but in my research it kept popping up so I tried it. It is one of the best things I have done for my body. It's easy to control my health and my weight, especially as I get older. Don't knock something until you give it an honest try. David

• Like 1

i do understand that some people actually do have allergies to gluten and dairy, and i am not in any form trying to bash those specific people. the gluten free thing is a fad though. when you eat a whole bowl of pasta, you feel bloated, and your stomache doesn't feel right. that's the way it is, it doesn't mean you have an "intolerance". when people cut out gluten and have these dramatic weight loss, and feel good stories, it is probably due to the fact that they don't eat so many carbs anymore, they lose a bunch of weight, and in turn, feel bettter. it is a simple diet that everyone has heard of. everyone has an intolerance to certain things if you over do them. just like people eating a block of cheese and either getting the squirts, or getting plugged up, and blaming it on "lactose intolerance". it has nothing to do with "lactose intolerance", it is a fact that if you drink a half gallon of milk, or a block of cheese, it is going to make you feel crappy. you don't see people that get a belly ache from eating too dang much candy claim they have a "sugar inolerance", or a guy that has one too many beers blame his hangover on some kind of intolerance.

• Like 2

how is it different, gmo's that is?

many crops have been naturally cross bred in the wild and in green houses to create new natural strains ...If you want to see how much it can be done just go look at the history of Hot Peppers and ... Most Strains go back to only a few native strains... GMO's are created in a lab with the goal of clonig and modifying actual DNA to achieve a desired effect i.e. a better yield, more drought resistant, more resistant to pests etc etc. With GMO's the change in the DNA strands by introducing a new gene in strings of chromosomes this process is replicated and the gene effect can be random... There is a lot of science behind what goes on in the labs and the only questions is how does the human body truly react in metabolizing the knew gene... All in all cross breeding is very different than manipulating DNA and Chromosomes through gene placement.

i do understand that some people actually do have allergies to gluten and dairy, and i am not in any form trying to bash those specific people. the gluten free thing is a fad though. when you eat a whole bowl of pasta, you feel bloated, and your stomache doesn't feel right. that's the way it is, it doesn't mean you have an "intolerance". when people cut out gluten and have these dramatic weight loss, and feel good stories, it is probably due to the fact that they don't eat so many carbs anymore, they lose a bunch of weight, and in turn, feel bettter. it is a simple diet that everyone has heard of. everyone has an intolerance to certain things if you over do them. just like people eating a block of cheese and either getting the squirts, or getting plugged up, and blaming it on "lactose intolerance". it has nothing to do with "lactose intolerance", it is a fact that if you drink a half gallon of milk, or a block of cheese, it is going to make you feel crappy. you don't see people that get a belly ache from eating too dang much candy claim they have a "sugar inolerance", or a guy that has one too many beers blame his hangover on some kind of intolerance.

You do realize many pastas are Gluten free , right ? Gluten is only in Wheat, Rye, Barley Triticale....

your wrong on the lactose intolerant

after you age and are not gettin mothers milk, your lactase in your small intestines is reduced and therefore your stomach can't break down lactose.

some people retain the lactase as a mutaded gene and have no problems but the majority can't so they get diarrhea, bloated ,gassy even in moderate amounts.

James