Sign in to follow this  
ChowDog

Crazy Buck!!

(sad, graphic story to follow) I'm going to start off by saying what a fun/ crazy day this was, My Fiance and i decided to hunt off horseback today. crazy right? especially archery. i figured to carry my bow, and pack on my horse, be able to get off and put a stalk on something would be a WORKOUT. but i was wrong. about an hour into this adventure riding threw some flats, i just happen to glance over to see a deer bedded under a tree. pulled up my binoculars and saw it was for sure a buck. So i stepped off my horse, walked over about 20 yards and ranged him at 50 yards facing to me still bedded down. i put my pin right at the base of the neck and let it go. well of course the horses jumped, (keep in mind these are Rodeo horses NOT hunting horses) lol. so the buck started to get up right as the arrow got to him and and that's when the horrible part of the day started. the arrow impacted low in the stomach. i gave him about 20 min to find a spot to bed down, and knew it would take days to die if i left him alone so i went after him very slowly and 10 min later i found him standing at 40 yards behind a tree. I drew back as he started to walk into the clearing and let it go, well he turned right, and my arrow hit right behind the shoulder and passed threw the front of him, i probably hit something really good because right away there was good blood EVERYWHERE. gave him another 15 min, then slowly followed the blood trail to walk 10 yards from him bedded up, staring at me then got to his feet, walked out 20 yards and i put an arrow threw both lungs, i accidentally aimed a little high cause i thought he was farther. then he circled around and ran right at me and piled up under a tree 6 yards away. but that's not it. he picked his head up and stared at me for a good 5 minutes and id had enough. i sank ONE more arrow into his heart and shortly after he kicked out. NOW its over. once i drag him out of the tree, i realize he is missing about 8" of his left rear leg, which caused him to not grow a whole lot of antler on his right side! apparently this buck was not meant to die yet!! but let me tell you, having horses to drag this guy a mile and a half was definitely a blessing!

post-6210-0-81975000-1410069457.jpg

post-6210-0-61265800-1410069469_thumb.jpg

post-6210-0-56415700-1410069476_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

wow. thats a weird deal for sure. definately get a mount on that one. story teller for sure

Did you throw your hands up right after you tied his legs????lol....Congrats on your crazy buck!

• Like 6

Wow tough deer! great story!

Weird looking buck! So did the velvet get all rubbed of from dragging him? Congrats

Haha no way Johnnie blaze. She's to perfect to share a picture with you guys!! Haha and no Vowell, just a tad bit on one edge, I made sure to tie his head to his feet and kept a close eye on it, I hit a rock with his antler once and it kinda dinged it up, but not bad at all. Thanks guys, it was sure an adventure I won't forget.

• Like 2

im not sure at all why its missing or how, ive seen him 3 times and hes always bedded up. it looks like it was cut off with a saw. which is impossible, but its competely flat from walking on it. self healed like nothing ever happened haha

Haha no way Johnnie blaze. She's to perfect to share a picture with you guys!! Haha...

Probably a good call on that one, congrats on your buck though. Haha

You have quite the story with this guy! Congrats on the buck!