Sign in to follow this  
Pixman

Does anyone know what this is?

This bull was in the road and I was surprised he had this stuck in his nose. Anyone know what it is or why they do this?

post-4217-0-52663400-1410103676_thumb.jpg

post-4217-0-52454300-1410103694_thumb.jpg

Youngsters these days... sheesh. What's next, pants way down low?

• Like 2

Looks like a nose flap for weaning calves. Instead of pulling the calf off the cow which stresses both out, this flap prevents the weanling from nursing. Mama cow dries out and everybody's happy, happy.

Go ahead and remove it, they're reusable. lol

• Like 1

Looks like a nose flap for weaning calves. Instead of pulling the calf off the cow which stresses both out, this flap prevents the weanling from nursing. Mama cow dries out and everybody's happy, happy.

Go ahead and remove it, they're reusable. lol

We'll, that's no calf, that's for sure.

• Like 1

You'd put the flap in a calf you want to wean, about 5 or 6 months old as you run it thru a chute. You won't take the flap out again unless you are running the animal thru a chute again, flap doesn't affect their eating or drinking, so you can just leave it in if you're not needing to put that animal thru a squeeze. Why would you want to handle a big dumb animal more than necessary? Got coues to track.

Without the flap, calves and cows were separated at weaning by a fence and both would run their weight off and tear the fences down, injure themselves and the calves would not eat well and bawl.

Maybe a cattleman will correct me, but I think that's a nose flap. I think I see cactus in his face, too. If you survive pulling that flap out, might as well go for the cactus too.lol

• Like 3

And while taking their milk away, why not give them that Hanibal Lecter look they crave?

'Silence of the cows.'

post-11051-0-50742900-1410131783_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

This bull was in the road and I was surprised he had this stuck in his nose. Anyone know what it is or why they do this?

I thought he was sticking his tongue out at first glance... :P

• Like 1