Sign in to follow this  
slowandsteady

2013 Coues Hunt in 35A

Last year, I started getting the itch to hunt the "grey ghost". I decided after not being drawn for deer, to purchase a left over tag to Unit 35A. My brother in law had family down in Sierra Vista and had never taken a coues buck before. We got 2 tags to Unit 35A and went glassing a few times before the hunt. The night we got there, his family knew a nice canyon where it holds some decent bucks. We decided to try there. So, opening day we got into a glassing position. It was not long before the deer start showing up in our binos. After allowing them to bed we started to make our way closer. We could not cut the distance enough to make a successful shot. We decided to come to the same canyon the next morning, but on the opposite side of the canyon. I was on an edge of a cliff when we spotted the buck that was worth taking. My brother in law decided to climb up on the next ridge to close the gap to the buck. I had the buck bedded down at 400yds. Through communication with each other, my brother in law was able to make a shot at 250yds and bag his buck. DIY hunting is the only way to go. It is super tough, but most rewarding.

post-12749-0-40202800-1410393178_thumb.jpg

post-12749-0-33831900-1410393209_thumb.jpg

post-12749-0-55184400-1410393234_thumb.jpg

post-12749-0-15431900-1410393264_thumb.jpg

post-12749-0-51659400-1410393286_thumb.jpg

post-12749-0-44055700-1410393340_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Nice job and good pics. Everyone this year neds to take and post more Pics. I know its hard when caught up in the moment of the kill, but over the years as an old fart I wish I would of took more photos when younger. Memories forever are better with pics................BOB!

Thanks BOB. I am grateful for pics mostly because you almost relive that memory everytime you look at the photo. Hush is the word on 35A coues assassin.

• Like 1

Nice story and photo SlowandSteady. I'll be in 35A, Fort Huachuca come December. I'm hoping a cold front with wind, snow or sleet moves in when I am there. Love hunting those hills when the weather turns nasty.

• Like 2

Thanks m77. My same brother in law and his wife are hunting there in December. It should be a blast. I will be in 7East helping out on a Cow Elk tag.

Congrats on the buck. Thanks for the story and Great pics. Besides the buck I LOVE the flag pic!

• Like 1

PJM, I wish you the best of luck in the future. Only advice I can give is find a remote canyon that drains into a water source. Good Luck!

It was a blast! I am helping a young man in my church on his first deer hunt in a couple of weeks. He has the choice of any antlered deer, but he wants a Coues. I told him, "that a boy".

Thanks Matt Meyer. My brother in law is taking his wife on that hunt this year. I will be leaving in less than 2 week s to help a young man on his first coues hunt. Love this time of year.