Sign in to follow this  
countrykid

Cited by AZGF

I have a kid on my football team who was cited by a game & fish officer for shooting a sparrow while out dove hunting. He had the sparrow on the tailgate of his truck, so he didn't just shoot it and leave it. Anyways the officer cited him with 17-309a10 taking of wildlife out of season. I for one did not know that sparrows had a season and for it to be a criminal offense sounds crazy to me. And to top it all off, his court date is during his elk hunt. He asked me if it was really against the law to shoot a sparrow and I told him I didn't think so but I thought I'd check with you guys to make sure.

It's always a good idea to have a copy of the regs in your vehicle when out hunting.

look on page 85 of the deer regs. if it was a true sparrow, they are legal to shoot, but not in the M units, which i imagine he was in. sounds like a sorry citation. i have a friend that got his license pulled for 3 years for shooting a dove out of season. hope your buddy's case doesn't go the same way. make sure that he lets them know how remorseful he is, while in court. that's usualy what they want is for the person to know what they did was wrong, and that they are sorry for what they did. my friend did not show remorse or apologize for his actions is why he got his pulled.

Jul 1, 2014 - Jun 30, 2015 (1,6,9,10,14,15,16,17,

18,21,22,26,27)

Open areas Statewide (excluding National Wildlife Refuges,

Units 11M, 25M, 26M, and 38M and private property within

municipal boundaries except in Units 1, 2A, 2B, 2C, 3A, 3B,

3C, 4A, 4B, and 27)

House (English) sparrow and European starling

Have the kid talk to the prosecutor to plead down the charge to community service. This is what I did on a similar charge a few years ago. I learned a lesson.

Always pick up your shells when hunting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Adam

• Like 1

Thanks guys! He was in 26m,so it looks like the officet was in the right. Still I think a warning would have been better than giving a kid a citation. He does feel bad so hopefully he doesn't get his lisence taken like your buddy did.

look on page 85 of the deer regs. if it was a true sparrow, they are legal to shoot, but not in the M units, which i imagine he was in. sounds like a sorry citation. i have a friend that got his license pulled for 3 years for shooting a dove out of season. hope your buddy's case doesn't go the same way. make sure that he lets them know how remorseful he is, while in court. that's usualy what they want is for the person to know what they did was wrong, and that they are sorry for what they did. my friend did not show remorse or apologize for his actions is why he got his pulled.

18,21,22,26,27)

3C, 4A, 4B, and 27)

this is under limited weapon

LiMiTed WeAPON-SHOTGuN SHOOTiNG SHOT OTHeR BiRdS & MAMMALS
Open Areas do not include areas within municipal parks, municipal preserves, county parks, county preserves, airports, golf courses, or posted water treatment facilities
(except as specifically opened in this Commission Order) or areas closed to hunting under A.R.S. Sections 17-303 and 17-304 or Commission Rules R12-4-321, R12-4-801,
R12-4-802 and R12-4-803.
Season dates Notes Open Areas Legal Wildlife
Jul 1, 2014 - Jun 30, 2015
(1,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,
20,21,27)
Open areas Statewide (including private property within
municipal boundaries and portions of Units 11M, 25M, 26M,
and 38M; excluding National Wildlife Refuges)

James

18,21,22,26,27)

3C, 4A, 4B, and 27)

that is under general... different for limited weapon...

James

Thanks guys! He was in 26m,so it looks like the officet was in the right. Still I think a warning would have been better than giving a kid a citation. He does feel bad so hopefully he doesn't get his lisence taken like your buddy did.

I am sorry but if anyone kid, adult, or old timmer goes out hunting they should know if what they plan on taking is leagle or not. We must teach the next generation the right way to hunt. This may beven a good kid but we don't know what the Worden seen while he was there and the law is the law. Sorry but we all need to fallow the rules

• Like 2

Now I'm confused:) he's in the clear because he was using a shotgun? Did I read that right?

don't be confused...

if in fact it was a sparrow it was legal under limited weapon regs... if it was some protected dodo bird or an eagle hawk or some kind of raptor than start your groveling.

did G&F take his gun and doves? was he in a legal shooting area?

there are some restrictions on exactly where you can hunt doves in 26M.

James

Guest 300ultramag.

Kid gets ripped for a sparrow-however the department can neglect and incidentally kill multiple big horn sheep and a jaguar... Without incident... Jeepers creepers...

• Like 3

Worden??? I think we all need to learn to spell before coming on here to post!

Sorry my phone auto corrects

Worden??? I think we all need to learn to spell before coming on here to post!

Sorry my phone auto corrects

Seriously? Worden is not even a word...I would get a new phone!

• Like 3