Sign in to follow this  
countrykid

Cited by AZGF

If a commissioner can get away with killing a Prairie Dog out of season...and a Game Warden can kill a elk with someone elses tag...give the kid a break

• Like 13

Request a copy of the report and see what species the officer identified the bird as. There are a lot of small birds and native sparrows that never have an open season. If the officer didn't identify the bird, this could be your argument.

In addition, request a different court date.

• Like 2

Guest 300ultramag.

Maybe we A. Petersen could become a Game Worden. This would help the kiddos out when they get out of line.

Too Early?

• Like 2

Worden sounds like a spelling app.

Correct conjunction for elk is an, not a.

Please let us know howe dis hole sparro ting works oot.

• Like 4

OK here's how I see this one. I think it's ridiculous for the officer to make this citation but he almost didn't have a choice. Most sparrows except house sparrows are native birds protected by the Migratory Bird Treaty Act. There is no open season for this genus ever with the exception noted. Are the sparrows going extinct from killing this one bird, not at all. Should the shooter be taught a lesson not to shoot stuff they shouldn't shoot...of course! I would plead guilty and get it over with and chalk it up as an important lesson to learn while out in the field.

update after reading the entire thread...

AZGutpile leaves very good advice...I would be certain that the officer did correctly identify the particular species in question otherwise he has not met the burden of proof to find you guilty of an offense, since there is one sparrow species that can be taken legally.

• Like 2

I know a guy who's last name is worden. They actually cited him for a sparrow? A dam sparrow? Wasn't there a big stink about some wordens killing an elk and putting another wordens tag on it in bow season awhile back? And no citations. Didn't their head undercover guy get busted for embezzling his undercover money awhile back? Last I heard he hadn't been charged either. There's a lotta stuff out there they really need to take care of. A kid shooting a sparrow is one o' them deals where you give em a heart to heart and tell em don't do it again. This just a waste of time and money. Lark.

• Like 7

AzLance is the self-appointed CWT spelling police now. Seriously. It's not an English forum.

The kid needs to be remorseful and also needs to know all the rules & regs before he shoots something. It will be a lesson learned for him.

I'd ask to reschedule the hearing. Don't need to give them a reason why except it's here online now.

Edge - LMAO.

• Like 4

Guest 300ultramag.

I would have made the kid pick up 200 spent shotgun shells and confiscated his ammo.

I would plead no contest or entrapment!!!!! That bird very well could have been flying like a dove!! A mocking sparrow?

• Like 1

He said the Warden didn't even know what it was. He said he took the sparrow and went back and sat in his truck for about an hour and then came back and handed him the citation. And on the citation all it says is "Taken out of season" And from what I can tell the only sparrow that has a season is open year long if using a shotgun. Which tells me the sparrow was legal to shoot... If I shot a Bald Eagle he wouldn't cite me with " Taken out of season" because Bald Eagles don't have a season. It's a protected species and that would be a totally different ball game.

Worden??? I think we all need to learn to spell before coming on here to post!

Sorry my phone auto corrects

Seriously? Worden is not even a word...I would get a new phone!

say your sorry for being sorry Sherman

I would have made the kid pick up 200 spent shotgun shells and confiscated his ammo.

I would plead no contest or entrapment!!!!! That bird very well could have been flying like a dove!! A mocking sparrow?

dove hunters dont leave spent shotgun shells....now sparrow hunters....whole different story
  • Like 2

Must have corrected the "fallow" too. LOL

Thats a great way to scare a kid away from hunting in my opinion.. If it justifies a ticket, give it to the parents, not the child..