dpr64

Weatherby 257 magnum 80 grain Barnes TTSX for coues?

I will start saving all my weatherby brass (and others) and try to start handloading this coming year.... Any tips on a good setup to get started with and no need to upgrade later?

Try the 115 Berger VLDs. Amazing. That is my new load for my .25-06AI. Shoots under 3/8 MOA at 3439fps, which should be right around Weatherby velocities. I also worked up a load for my .250AI with the 115gr. Berger VLDs at 3106fps. They shoot about 3/4 MOA, but I have yet to play with seating depth.

It is odd that the 100gr. TSX shoot better in my .250AI, and the 100gr. TTSX shoot better in my .25-06AI.

Here are both the .257 100gr. TSX and the 100gr. TTSX.

a345c7b1-98d4-4521-8dd2-ac27fea3f781_zps

I will start saving all my weatherby brass (and others) and try to start handloading this coming year.... Any tips on a good setup to get started with and no need to upgrade later?

Hard to go wrong with RCBS or Hornady for a single stage press. Unless you are going to be loading 1000s of rounds (like with .223 or .308 for auto guns), no need for a progressive press in my opinion. I am too meticulous to allow a progressive press to do all my stages without my control over individual stages. I actually weigh each charge, except for when I am doing my .223 varmint loads. But I still weight about every 7-10 charges to make sure the throw is consistent.

• Like 1

I make all my 257 Weatherby cases from 7mm Rem Mag or .264 Win Mag cases. You have to fire form the first load but it is much cheaper to make the brass then pay for Weatherby or anyone else. You don't have quite the case capacity but have not had any issues doing it and the cases are a little short but they work fine. I am getting about 5-8 loadings per case before the primer pockets get loose.

I have shot both 100gr & 115gr and they both shoot well. My rifle seems to like the 115-117gr the best so I stick with those. I have only been able to try ranges out to about 500 yards but they fly well to that range and I would eventually like to try farther when I can.

As far as presses I use an RCBS Rock Chucker and it has been great. It is not fast but if you do good batches it is productive and saves tons of money over factory. I have never fired a factory round through either of my Weatherby caliber rifles. I just with brass for the 257 was as easy and cheap to find as the 300 is/was.

Heck, you're down the street from me! I am in Oro Valley. I need some range time with the rifle next week and then I will know what I might want to do...

Thanks!

I was on Nosler's website and they said they use Nosler brass in 'most' cases.. Would Nosler brass be as good as Weatherby brass or ?

Thanks for the help, normally I would not be so investigative on ammo but being that it is $60-$90 a box, I am trying to choose wisely...

Midway has weatherby factory ammo with 100 gr norma bullets on clearance for $32 a box. Its like $10 cheaper than they want for just brass.