Sign in to follow this  
Jcakes53

need help in unit 1

Stay away from roads. Get into some canyons by 5am and around 430pm and you should start hearing them.

My buddy just killed a good 6x6 in unit 1 on Wednesday. I am betting somewhere 340-350 from the photos. Really heavy, wide, great main beam length, good fronts, 3rds were OK, 4ths OK, back was the weak part.

I'm hunting unit 1 right now. Seeing elk all day every day. Find some roads that go through elky looking country, if there are quakies you are good. (There don't have to be quakies, there's tons of elk in areas without). Get out there around 4 am, and drive 1 mile, then stop the engine, roll windows down, listen at least 5 minutes, then drive another 1 mile and then listen 5 min. Then another, and another. This won't help you see many elk, since they are usually off the roads a ways, but you'll hear them. Then if you start hiking towards them you might catch up to them if they aren't hiking away from you towards a bedding area.

But anyways, the elk are all over. Right now they bugle every morning from 4 to 6:30, and then every night from 5-dark. Then most of the night too. Just listen and you'll figure out where you need to hike. The tough thing is to get close. usually if they are bugling right now they are moving, and you have to be in front of them. Elk hike way faster than people can.

Good luck.

To expound on Jake's thought I would suggest going for a drive at night before you go to bed. Stop every 1/4-1/2 mile and listen for bugles. If you hear a bull mark it on a map or GPS, and continue on. Come back to those areas in the AM an hour or two before light. When you find a bull that's really lighting it up, get the wind in your face and start easing his way in the dark. This way you will be close enough to make your final approach while he is still bugling. Just be careful to leave some room between you and him to prevent bumping him or his cows in the dark.

• Like 1

Quaking Aspen...Quakies

See picture below.

They are green now though, wont turn color till October.

Jeff

Jcakes53

Look in the burn areas. Also burned timber close to unburned timber, north slopes, etc.

I had a Unit 1 archery bull elk tag in 2012. There are elk all over that unit, in every habitat type, from top to bottom, side to side. Depends on what kind of country you want to hunt.

Some recommendations for getting into elk...

1. Get up a couple of hours before the sun gets up.

2. Turn off the lantern, trucks, quads, anything else that makes noise and listen for bugles. Where I camped on my hunt a couple of years ago I literally could not sleep from all the bugles around my tent for the first 3 or 4 nights or so.

3. Figure out which way the wind in blowing as soon as the sun comes up. Slowly, quietly work your way into the wind. If you walk long enough, quietly enough, and keep your nose into the wind, eventually you will see, hear, or smell elk. This is not a theory, this is a fact if you execute.

4. Once you see them, make a plan to approach downwind. Can you make a move for an ambush? Are they already coming your way? Once you have a lock on where they are, move less, make less noise, and get ready to shoot. Watch the wind!

5. If you are familiar with elk behavior and what the elk sounds mean, try calling, but whatever you do, don't just start blasting the woods with your bugle or cow call if the elk are not in the mood. This is a tactic usually used best by a seasoned elk hunter. Call sparingly if you must call at all. Whatever you do, don't just drive around and bugle at elk then get back on your quad or in your truck if you don't get the response you're after. Many tag holders would be well served to heed this advice, but this is just my opinion and you are likely to get many different opinions on the topic of calling. To each his own.

A positive mental attitude is the best weapon and tactic you can employ. Keep your chin up and the smile wide...you're in the best unit in the world for bull elk! Enjoy!

Nick