Sign in to follow this  
Couestracker

Anyone try a Gopro mounted on a rifle?

Has anyone tried this on a hunt? How about pros & cons to the idea? Thanks for any input.

The problem with the gopro is you cannot zoom in. Unless you are very close to your target you will not be able to see anything. You could mount it towards you to film yourself.

Did for dove season. Most of the doves were hard to see so anything farther out wont make it. It is more of a close watch your face/trail type of thing. Plus pointing your gun where you are going so you can film gets old.

Try researching the 'ATN ShotTrak'. It has a good picture, small, and mounts to picatinny rails. Has a 5x zoom so it doesn't washout the image like the fisheye lens on the GoPro. I've only used it dove hunting and archery practice but it seems to do the job for me. Goes for about $120.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/atn-shot-trak-hd-action-gun-camera.html

Try researching the 'ATN ShotTrak'. It has a good picture, small, and mounts to picatinny rails. Has a 5x zoom so it doesn't washout the image like the fisheye lens on the GoPro. I've only used it dove hunting and archery practice but it seems to do the job for me. Goes for about $120.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/atn-shot-trak-hd-action-gun-camera.html

Looks like a sweet system.

They are nice for getting the action but as with all have limitations ... Not something you would want to use for long range, but then again there is not much out there without actually using an adapter and going through a spotting scope for that. One of my friends loves it on his Bow and with the close distance it does very well. Here is a clip showing one type of rifle mount and out of stand ...

I use a gopro not mounted on the gun. I would suggest getting a adapter to use it with your binoculars or spotting scope and carry it around on a tripod. For long range stuff at least

That brings up a question I have always had , can a go pro get good video from a spotting scope ?

I have seen excellent video with the GoPro through spotting scope... they were using the Phone Skope adapter and the GoPro Iphone app to view and control...

biggest issue is the circular frame ... will be a buzz kill for many