MULEPACKHUNTER

truck advise

I am hoping to get some opinions on trucks from those who use them. I am planning getting another truck. I have a diesel already but need a new daily driver so I have narrowed it down to 4x4 3/4 ton gas motor most likely reg cab long bed. So say from yr 2008 to new what are some opinions on what brand or year to buy? I don't care about fluff so rubber floor and manual windows are fine. Manual trans prefered.

Looking at a 2009 ford v8 with 52,000 miles tomorrow.

Kind of depends on if you want smooth ride or offroad durability. You'll never bteak a solid axle under normal use (or rarely)....but it'll rattle the crap out of you.

Get a tundra. Not 3/4 ton, but very heavy duty 1/2 ton. I have a 2013 5.7 motor, 6 speed auto is just an awesome drivetrain.

I'm sure I'll get flamed by the ford, dodge and Chevy guys, but that's my opinion and I've had every truck made either myself or as a work truck for a company Ive worked for.

After all is said and done, I now own a Tacoma and a Tundra.

• Like 1

A floating axle in a 3/4 ton can pull your fat out of the fire. Break a drive line or differential goes out, you're not stranded.

Not really concerned with ride. I need a backup for my horse trailer should something go on my diesel. I like to buy something utility that works for all jobs. I love my little Toyota but it sure can't pull my trailer.

It's hard to beat the new ford diesel. Power and economy. It's a great truck

So if durability of the axles is key, you can leave out Chevy and GMC as they are not Solid Front Axle.

It's hard to beat the new ford diesel. Power and economy. It's a great truck

I know that Nate over at Strictly Diesel has gotten about 18mpg on the highway but his is a 2WD. He keeps a record of each tank and he said it has worked out to an average of 16.55mpg over the last 48 tanks and that's all driving including city and towing.

I guess I should have mentioned I don't want new or crazy priced. I have a diesel now so I don't need to spend that coin. Just need a gas v8 and the 3/4 ton is just in case I need it. I am kind of leaning now over to the hemi 4x4 maybe 2010

your best bet is finding a ford v10. thats what i would get and i work on them all (and see it all). but i am also biased.

I took a trip to the white mountains from Peoria. The drive up and down plus all the driving on the backroads I was able to average a little over 19.