Tunachaser

My Dad's Sheep

I think Mulepacker hit the the score right on. Left horn looks to be 37 7/8 and the right about 38. Both bases look to be 13 4/8. I would guess the ram is about 13 years old. From the background in the photo, I would guess unit 45A.

Haha. Some of you guys have the book, "Kofa Kings" by Tom Sadd. I guess my dads sheep stands out. He definitely stands out in my eyes. Iv'e never seen a prettier Ram. Old Buck pulled his records and G&F tapped him at 175 1/8. And yes, West Kofa's back in the Glory days. I was 3 1/2 years old on this hunt. My dad packed me all over the place. My mom took me home the morning of the 10th day, and that night, we got the call that they had found and killed a Kofa Legend. Anyone remember his nick-name( I thought it was "The White Tanks Ram" or something?) No one would have ever guessed a Ram of this caliber would have 13 inch bases. Everyone thought he was dead but my grandpa found him on a tiny little rock miles from the main Mtn range and they got him killed.

Score doesn't matter on a ram that looks as spectacular as that!

Magnificent ram your Dad killed. A true beauty.

GREAT RAM! Very nice "overlays" too!

I was going to guess GMU 45A as well. I drew a GMU 45C tag on my first ever application for sheep in 1991. I killed a much lesser ram that was 11 years old. Was a good ram to take as it looked as if he would not survive the winter.

Sway back, pot belly, shovel butt and TWO club front feet!

He watched me kill him from about (before laser rangefinders) 165 yards from below him in the rain.

Used a Remington Model 760 pumpgun chambered in .30-06. Was one of the first Desert Big Horn rams to be taken with the Barnes X-bullet.

Cheers,

280rem

• Like 1

I remember running into your dad & grandpa that very same hunt. I was helping a non- resident & a resident hunter who drew on the same application. The resident hunter wound up falling and compound fractured his leg right around Christmas time. He laid on on the mountain for two days until he got help.

Anyhow back to your dads ram all I can say is WOW!! That ram is truley a KOFA king!!

Oh my goodness thats crazy! I'm guessing he didnt get to hunt anymore. How did the other guy do? Brian Rimsza also had the tag that year. I think he was pretty young ( Guess he's always been good at pulling tags) ;)

280REM, is 45C the Castle Domes? Your hunt sounded pretty crazy! I can't wait til I get to go on a Desert Sheep hunt. I hunted Aoudad last year on a Self-Guided West Texas hunt and that was pretty similar hunting my dad said. We hunted 6 days and never saw a mature ram. Iv'e never hunted harder in my life. We got our butts kicked. Mostly because the so-called "outfitter" completely lied about the property and we were hunting a Mountain Range that has been wildly over hunted. We glassed up 2 bands of sheep the whole time and went 3 days without seeing a single sheep. A lesson was learned tho. Do extensive research on an outfitter and don't let a good deal haze your decision process. When its too good to be true, it usually is.