Sign in to follow this  
cohofishing

2015 Draw

I am sure this has been talked about before but just a reminder...

Just finished putting in for my spring hunts. When prompted to buy next year's license, I did as usual. When printing it, I noticed that my license is only good till September 29, 2015. It also showed my current 2014 license good till December 31st. Called fish and game and asked why and was told that if you have a valid license at the time of the draw, that is the license number you would use for the draw. If you do draw and you haven't needed to buy that year's license for any other hunting, you would need to buy one at the time of the hunt.

Makes sense I guess. I wish it had prompted me that I already had a valid license for 2014. Now it seems like I am in a weird cycle. I guess I need to think about buying my license on January 1st or maybe get a lifetime license.

Just thought I would give the heads up,

Brent

• Like 2

Sorry you got stuck by that...I was wondering exactly how that would work (even though I've read everything and thought I understood it). I guess I'll be sticking with my "buy a license, OTC deer tag, and lion tag all on the same day" approach. :D

Thanks for posting so the rest of us know for sure...

Ummmm, why are we paying full price for a license that is only good for 9 months... I already have a license through Dec 31 of 2014. If I buy a 2015 license now, it will basically cover me for Jan1, 2015 through Sept 30, 2015. Either the 2015 license should be prorated for only (9) months, or I should be refunded (3) months worth of my 2014 license.

So, I called AZGFD and found out that we no longer need to purchase a 2015 license when we put in for the 2015 Spring hunts. This raises a couple other questions...

Aren't out license #'s on our tags? I was just looking at a buddies elk tag and it is on there... Won't this get confusing with, say, my 2014 License number on my 2015 Javelina tag?

Second, and it is minor, but it seems like there is now a way to work the system a little when it comes to the needing a license in order to apply scenario - especially for non-resident licenses.

Ummmm, why are we paying full price for a license that is only good for 9 months... I already have a license through Dec 31 of 2014. If I buy a 2015 license now, it will basically cover me for Jan1, 2015 through Sept 30, 2015. Either the 2015 license should be prorated for only (9) months, or I should be refunded (3) months worth of my 2014 license.

It a screw up with the Spring Application Process, which has caused a lot of grief for people so far. Bottom line is you do not need to purchase a 2015 license yet, just put down your 2014 number.

When and if you get drawn you will need to have a 2015 license but don't purchase one until your 2014 expires. Licenses are now good for 365 days from the day you made the purchase which is good for those who don't purchase a license every year or maybe just bought one for Dove Season only to have it expire four months later, now it is good for a year.

I don't like this either. Pretty sure if you buy from a license dealer you can choose when you want your license to start and it's good for 365 days. Not sure if this option exists online. I'm still going to try to just have my license valid from Jan 1 - Dec. 31st from now on.

• Like 1

Guest wdenike

I always figured if things weren't broke don't try and fix them. Some one in that efficiently run organization didn't have enough work to do. And figured the wheel should be reinvented. I'm just a dumb hillbilly, but if I were one of those highly paid CEO'S. I'd fire their azz. LOOK!!!!! Found money, I think ya call it trimming the fat. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Take care, Willie

I would also check into the forward start date. I remember at the meetings that said we would be able to set the start date of the new license at purchase? So you should have been able to buy it now but have it start the day after your current one expires.

So, I called AZGFD and found out that we no longer need to purchase a 2015 license when we put in for the 2015 Spring hunts. This raises a couple other questions...

Aren't out license #'s on our tags? I was just looking at a buddies elk tag and it is on there... Won't this get confusing with, say, my 2014 License number on my 2015 Javelina tag?

Second, and it is minor, but it seems like there is now a way to work the system a little when it comes to the needing a license in order to apply scenario - especially for non-resident licenses.

To you second point, your license must be valid on the draw deadline. In most years, the deadline for the any particular draw in following year falls 364 days from the last deadline for the same draw. So, yes, in most years, a careful and in the know non-resident could squeeze two of the same draws out of the same license. If they are applying for both deer and elk, then it doesn't really make a difference because they will just have to buy a license between the two, but if they are only applying for deer, then they could make that happen. Of course, that would also mean that they would have to rely on being able to submit an application at the very end of the draw, and as we have seen, there very well may be technical difficulties doing so. An extension of a draw deadline because of those difficulties wouldn't help them if they wanted to try to double dip on the old license.

There was no option to forward the date. I have and could have used my 2014 license but didn't. It shows both license numbers and the dates the are good for on my new license. The best option is to buy on January 1st. I was looking on my Colorado hunting license and it is good till March 31, 2015 so I guess the same system is in place there also. I guess if you draw a spring tag it will show the license number and dates it is good for. It would be up to you to make sure you have a current license. My Colorado license had my tag on it as one complete item. Looking right now, so does my New Mexico license which is also go for 365 days, March 31, 2015.

Brent