Xnt

Snake ID

We have a snake in our back yard. Unfortunately my little kids play there. But fortunately it doesn't seem to be a rattlesnake. Didn't hear or see a rattle. It looks like this: http://www.reptilesofaz.org/Graphics/Snakes/LAMGETNIG-09b.jpg

A Western King Snake? They're said to be harmless? I hit it with a shovel and of course it had to slither into a bush. not sure how much its worth trying to dig it out or hope it slithers out of our back yard.

bad link

you want that snake to stick around

We have a snake in our back yard. Unfortunately my little kids play there. But fortunately it doesn't seem to be a rattlesnake. Didn't hear or see a rattle. It looks like this: http://www.reptilesofaz.org/Graphics/Snakes/LAMGETNIG-09b.jpg

A Western King Snake? They're said to be harmless? I hit it with a shovel and of course it had to slither into a bush. not sure how much its worth trying to dig it out or hope it slithers out of our back yard.

Not Found

The requested URL /Graphics/Snakes/LAMGETNIG-09b.jpg was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

"If" it is a Kingsnake try to relocate it somewhere as it will keep the rodent and rattlesnake population down.

You mean it would be better in the wash outside the HOA than just dead? Ok, well how do i relocate it? I don't want to get bit in the process

King snakes are harmless , and do a lot to help with reduced rodents and rattlesnakes as stated above.. just let him do his thing and do not fear him ... they will run from even the children with out issue !

Yeah, they usually don't like to be handled and will bite but I'm not going to tell you to do that in case it isn't a non-venomous snake.

Kingsnakes are awesome. They have been used in the past for rattlesnake control on golf courses. Don't know if they still do or not.

That picture is a kingsnake subspecies only found in far southern/southeastern AZ. I'm assuming you are in the Phoenix area, but I could be wrong. Coachwhips are another species that is highly varied in its coloration (red, brown, black, red/brown) and are common in the Phoenix/Tucson areas. If Its a coachwhip, it is nonvenomous, but will bite the snot out of you (multiple times) if you try to catch it. Kingsnakes aren't as quick to bite. If it has yellow stripes mixed in and you are in the Valley or Tucson area, then its more likely a kingsnake. If you are in those areas and its black, its probably a coachwhip. They won't attack your kids and are also known to prey on rattlesnakes.

That picture is a kingsnake subspecies only found in far southern/southeastern AZ. I'm assuming you are in the Phoenix area, but I could be wrong. Coachwhips are another species that is highly varied in its coloration (red, brown, black, red/brown) and are common in the Phoenix/Tucson areas. If Its a coachwhip, it is nonvenomous, but will bite the snot out of you (multiple times) if you try to catch it. Kingsnakes aren't as quick to bite. If it has yellow stripes mixed in and you are in the Valley or Tucson area, then its more likely a kingsnake. If you are in those areas and its black, its probably a coachwhip. They won't attack your kids and are also known to prey on rattlesnakes.

Coachwhips are awesome looking snakes ... Of course we called them red racers growing up and caught them often. The Sonoran Whipsnakes down south are IMO way cooler with the varied colors .. either way if it is not a rattle snake I just let them be