Sign in to follow this  
Coach

OK, who does this?

Wheres that top photo taken?

Nice, that mule is how I wanted my pack animal to look last shed hunt....

right back at ya

Bottom pic is bighorn steaks and tender loins

post-11051-0-89367200-1413304931_thumb.jpg

post-11051-0-75078600-1413307624_thumb.jpg

post-11051-0-47945300-1413309603_thumb.jpg

post-11051-0-10818900-1413309766_thumb.jpg

post-11051-0-19611100-1413309808_thumb.jpg

This is clearly a hijack situation....and I do apologize Coach........but Edge started it with that picture of packing in and well...................

Top picture is Zions Nat. Park up in Utah. Maybe 1979 or somewhere around there. My brother was working rodeo's and guiding trail rides there in the park and he let me come along for the ride one day.

There are spots on that particular trail where your stirrups are hanging over the edge on one side and scraping the rock on the other......OK that was a small exaggeration.

We had a lady start to bail off her horse cause it scared her so much.....she didn't realize the safest spot on that trail was right in the middle of that horse. Her bailing off scared the piss out of me.......fun times.....

Can honestly say I have never had the pleasure of eating any big horn steak.....

• Like 1

Coach,

I feel exactly how you do and I would be upset as well. I get the public land thing as much as the next guy but I don't agree with being on top of each other. I was raised to respect the guy that beat you to the spot and I am raising my kids that way as well. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and how they operate but it sure is nice to see like minded people handle situations in a similar fashion. To me parking right next to another truck is no different then camping right next to a stranger, pulling up and fishing over the top of somebody, or sitting the same tank as another hunter....never would dream of doing it and hate when some one does it to me.

• Like 3

Coach is one of the good guys. He asked a question, I answered with colorful illustrations, This IS how I deal with other hunters.

PS I thought that was UT

• Like 1

I know I have hunted alot of spot b's in my life. I have also had alot of guy's come in on top of good spots. I either move along or adjust to use their presence to help me. You can't fix stupid and life's to short to get all blown up over it.

• Like 1

I'm enjoying all the responses here, and Edge's pictures definitely take the "edge" off. :)

I also get the whole public land thing, and realize that each situation is different. Sometimes we end up in closer quarters than we would like to and have to make the best of it. In other situations when there is plenty of great, unoccupied country all around and someone still chooses to hunt exactly where they know you are - it's frustrating. Especially frustrating when your 12 yr. old son is super upset because of a deer getting shot right out from under him.

Anyway, good to hear everyone's opinions and everyone keeping it civil.

• Like 2

Perspective Jason... Teach your boy Perspective... It isn't ours till it is in or hands. There are a Thousand things that could have prevented you from tagging that buck... That buck may have been literally shot out below you, but in reality not out from under you... and probably without a hint of malice or ill intent. I do feel your pain and I would be upset too, but it is a lot easier to have perspective from here than in your shoes. I hope that you and your boys can find joy within each bad day just as you do on good ones. Good Hunting to You and the Boys.

• Like 3

Were you in that same Jr. hunt as last year Coach? Same general vicinity?

After growing up in Texas with no public land to hunt unless you are a landowner, we should all feel very lucky to be able to have this issue.... Can always get out of bed a little earlier or hike a little further if you want to be guaranteed a spot before everyone else shows up.....

• Like 1

I feel your pain, people just don't care. A few years ago I had a guy and his wife from Sierra Vista walk past me and my boy obviously set on hunting the tank we were overlooking. They walked up to about 20 feet from us and stopped, waved and turned back.

As the sun was setting a couple of hours later we headed out with a mile walk back to camp.

Yup there they were all set up about 50 feet away from us. 100 years ago he would have tasted the butt of my rifle but we just acknowledged them and kept on going.

some people are shitty hunters and need to follow others. guides doit all the time up here. all i can say is shot first. there are many inconsiderate people out there and they will shot over your sholder. jerks, my opinion

After growing up in Texas with no public land to hunt unless you are a landowner, we should all feel very lucky to be able to have this issue.... Can always get out of bed a little earlier or hike a little further if you want to be guaranteed a spot before everyone else shows up.....

first world problems!

Perspective Jason... Teach your boy Perspective... It isn't ours till it is in or hands. There are a Thousand things that could have prevented you from tagging that buck... That buck may have been literally shot out below you, but in reality not out from under you... and probably without a hint of malice or ill intent. I do feel your pain and I would be upset too, but it is a lot easier to have perspective from here than in your shoes. I hope that you and your boys can find joy within each bad day just as you do on good ones. Good Hunting to You and the Boys.

Spot on, Gino. Well said, my friend. And that's exactly how I approached it with my sons. One a little disappointed, two wanting to create a "long walk out" for our interlopers, and a wife who isn't really into hunting but still able to recognize there was a clear breach of ethics, without even much outside perspective.

We focused on what we could have done differently. For example, Josh, being my youngest doesn't load his gun until I tell him it's time to. In that situation, I should have prepared him to take a shot in case we bumped a deer on our way in.

Secondly, we heard the quads come in after us. Instead of assuming they would turn around, we could have used their hike in to our advantage, and maybe gotten a second chance that we normally wouldn't have.

Thirdly, with 2 upper-teens boys full of testosterone and a little eager to escalate the issue - it was a great lesson in patience and perspective. The immediate response sometimes is to retaliate - to fix a perceived wrong. The level-headed approach is to reflect on your own actions first, gain perspective of others, assume the best, and loop back around to what positives can come out of it, versus the negative outcomes of acting on impulse.

I'll call it a win, albeit a frustrating one.

• Like 2

I can understand the First Come First Served way of thinking at a waterhole, but when your out on a Ridgetop how much area are you trying to reserve by getting their first? 100yds? 1/4 mile? As far as the eye can see?

• Like 1