Sign in to follow this  
AZBUCKEYE

My browning 243 about do for new barrel

Just curious, how did you determine it's due for a new barrel? What's it doing now that it didn't used to? And how many rounds? I ask because I shoot a .243 also and love it. Over 4k threw it and it still shoots very good.

• Like 1

Just curious, how did you determine it's due for a new barrel? What's it doing now that it didn't used to? And how many rounds? I ask because I shoot a .243 also and love it. Over 4k threw it and it still shoots very good.

My dads passed on to me 45 yrs approx and could not begin to think how many rounds through it used it for ground hog back east biggest issue is it is a pencil barrel and starting to loosen up on groups

Hands down, Phoenix Custom Rifles. Great guys, amazing work, quick turnaround, good prices, great CS.

Send it off to E.R. shaw. Hands down best bang for your buck.

Just make sure whoever you pick can thread for the browning action if it's metric! I ran into the same problem awhile back when I had a gun built on a vanguard action, used a smith in east valley to fit it up. His machine work turned out good but the rest of the work and attention to detail I was not impressed with. Took the gun to Phoenix custom rifles and had them fix everything that was wrong and put a muzzle break on it. Was very happy with there work, to bad they won't thread for metric threads would have saved me a headache

• Like 1

So when a machinist at a gun shop threads a barrel, they use the lathe with the threads per inch set up? They don't have a die to thread a barrel? Forgive my ignorance, I figured that they could cut it to spec and then chuck up a die for the thread cut? Die cost isn't a complete deal breaker, I have dies at work up to 32mm in .75-1.75 thread pitch.

Azslim is correct.

My M88 .243 started shooting loose groups. Took it to a smitty that owed me money and he did a major bore cleaning; believe he used a boric acid to get that copper and lead out.

try giving it a good cleaning with a copper fouling removal solvent first, may surprise you and be a lot cheaper[/quote. That is just what I did yesterday took it to the range and wow we are good to go. I can't believe what I thaught was a clean bore how much I got out of it with foam cleaner and lots of brushing.
  • Like 1

try giving it a good cleaning with a copper fouling removal solvent first, may surprise you and be a lot cheaper[/quote. That is just what I did yesterday took it to the range and wow we are good to go. I can't believe what I thaught was a clean bore how much I got out of it with foam cleaner and lots of brushing.

Dang good idears these fellers have passed on to you and ME. :)

• Like 1