no worries

Unit 33 youth hunt general advise on finding deer

Hi everyone.

My 10 and 12 year old were drawn for any antlered deer unit 33 in late November. I'm really looking forward to taking them out. We are more focused on coues but wont pass on a muley. I hunted years ago ,but in 34B mainly and am a little rusty and behind on gear and technique.

First ? Glassing, what direction is best in am and pm? Since the Catalinas are steep, a lot of areas have shady slopes either longer in am or earlier pm. Does this change your glassing pattern? How do u pick a glassing spot? How long do u stay put if you're not seeing deer before u move to another spot?

We have good access to Pusch Ridge area thru a friends property (La Reserve) but it climbs quickly once u go the 1/4 mile from houses. Any thoughts on hunting in there? We are also looking at San Man. area , base camping and hiking in each day. Thoughts?? Suggestions??

Thanks Jim

If you can't find deer in 33 then you shouldn't be hunting. I'm not a great glasser but this unit makes me look like a pro.That being said just get as high as you can and glass everywhere. Up above the Biosphere ain't bad, or Peppersauce, but honestly anywhere you go you should find deer. My father in law took a few kids on a youth hunt and they both tagged out and they saw over 20 bucks this past weekend. Good luck!

Hey no worries, I dont know unit 33 but on the glassing part i like to look at the north facing slopes in the morning, when it warms up the bucks will come from the sunny side and find shade to bed. that being said i have seen them on a southern facing slope in the morning laying in the open or the shade of one tree. alot depends on the hunting pressure. find a spot early in the morning keep watch on a saddle from time to time while still scanning the hill .if i know the country well i will stay at one spot all day, and i glass all day as well, a buck will change beds sometimes or eat a bite or two then lay back down in the middle of the day. i have been in a spot for a long time thinking nothing was there and take another look and find a deer on a spot i have been looking at all day. i hope this helps i am by no means an expert these are just things that i have obsereved

I guided my buddy Daniel last year during the Oct. hunt. First day in my area 07:32 and big buck down. This guy WAS in the Reddington area. Now his rack isn't really big but he weighed a ton! A great buck for his first.

post-5396-0-11980800-1413265752_thumb.jpg

post-5396-0-07564500-1413265814_thumb.jpg

post-5396-0-35794900-1413265865_thumb.jpg

definatly in the reddington area. Nice buck. just past the Camel right?

Not sure where that is at, but not as far in as you might think.

Seriously? Camel in the barn?? I shouldn't laugh since one of my neighbors owns a zebra.

Anyway , thanks for the suggestions everyone. I should be able to scout this weekend and hopefully find some promising spots. I'll start on the west side of Catalinas and a few spots over toward San Man. The kids have school during half the hunt and we might have 3 days of after school only sessions. These days, we need to hunt close to Oro Valley. The first weekend is open to anywhere.

Thx again , Jim

last house out on Tanque Verde before you hit dirt. Has a Camel in big barn.

I know of the real Camel... somehow I was thinking of a rock formation called the Camel.... lol

see there is a camel. That is funny. Good luck all. Hope every has a safe and fun hunt. Do not shoot anything over a 3X3. take the forkies if you will. I have the hunt after Thanksgiving and would appreciate all the better quality bucks be left alone. I don't think it is too much to ask.

what did that deer score? 87?

If I remember right it was around 85 or 7

33 is a great unit. I've seen more deer in a single day in there than I have in an entire season in some other units. Be patient, work the glass more than your boots and you'll do well.