Sign in to follow this  
muledeerarea33?

Campfire wood cutting in forest.

I'm a fan of burning whatever is dead. Pine, oak, mesquite, whatever. If it's dead take it out or use it up, stops help the spread of wildfires and when wildfires do happen they are less catastrophic is there is less fuel loading. Show no discrimination, burn 'em all.

Was real pleased ( not really pleased , you understand) to see a lot of standing dead oaks in 36B , an unending supply of firewood. Imagine my surprise when we brought the chain saw, bucked it up and put it on the fire.; What we found with the Oaks in our unit is that if the diameter is greater than 3" or so , it just smolders , no flame until you break it open with the poker. It is the densest wood I have ever encountered . Could not split it with a maul , no way , no how . The trees are in the Quercus family as are the oaks back east . I think it must be something environmental that causes the density.

We do make use of the manzanita , which also been inn large supply due to drought / caterpillars. There is not much dead mesquite where we are.

Anyway, on a scouting trip we bring a load of wood to last us the week and just supplement with the manzanita.

Would like to hear if anyone else has encountered my experience with the oak.

I burn southern oak at home. And yeah it takes a bit to get it going. In a fire pit it's gotta be hot to get hot! In a pot belly stove it burns good all night. If you cut the stuff that has a hole in the center it splits and burns good.

Each forest has it's own regs on what you can cut, if it's standing. I can cut standing dead oak in the kaibab but in the Prescott I can only cut it dead and down.