Sign in to follow this  
Norcy

Advice on unit 29 Nov. 7 coues hunt

My son got a left over unit 29 coues deer hunt for Nov. 7. This is a new unit for us but for some reason he can't get drawn for the units we normally hunt anyway I am just looking for a little advice no special spots I just need to get him his first buck. I like the way the north side looks but have been told there is a lot of private land to contend with. Any hep would be appreciated, once again not looking for honey holes just a couple spots to start looking from. PM me if you have any info thanks.

best thing is to search the past posts from last yr- don't want no snivelin about givin away some guys secret spot that they have hunted for yrs . the s/e range is washed away - hardly any of the roads have been maintained or improved from the storms -they have had a lot of rain - some reports of over 7 in this yr in a couple of those storms - most access is impassable - - lots of locals have minimum access to their own property -

think in and around the campgrounds that are open contact the ranger station in the area !!

areas around portal may hold some deer

I saw the most deer in behind sunglow ranch last year. None of them had horns but there were plenty of deer.

My son got his first deer in the unit. We went out and glassed. I saw a deer and lined him up. He shot it. Since you don't want honey holes I wont tell you where it was.

If you have never used Google Earth, learn how to. Using Google Earth and The AZG&F information listed below do some on line scouting. Then go hunt if you can't do pre-season scouting.

White-tailed Deer Overview: Since whitetail populations are well distributed throughout the forest, hunters will be equally successful in just about any location in the unit above 4000' elevation. General distribution is moderate at elevation 5000'and up. Since the majority of whitetail habitat is located on lands administered by the US Forest Service, access is very good. A Coronado National Forest map is invaluable on a hunt for detailed access information. The USFS map of the Chiricahua Mountains, Coronado National Forest is available from US Forest Service Offices. Glassing from high points or stalking bring results for hunters. Most sportsmen use a combination of the two methods. The use of binoculars and/or spotting scopes is highly recommended.

Area: Work the upper reaches of these drainages of the unit. Starting on the west side of the unit, the following road accesses are recommended: Pinery, Pine, West Turkey, Cottonwood, Stanford, Pridham, John Long, Rucker, and Tex Canyons. On the south: Price, Shake, Jack Wood, and Horseshoe Canyons. East side: Sulphur, Dripping Springs, Fossil, Cave, East Turkey, Silver, East Whitetail, Jhus, Brushy Canyons. Jhus canyon can now be driven into and PLEASE obey all posted signs. The landowner agreed to allow vehicular access to the forest as long as hunters obey all signs. If the landowner discovers any individuals disobeying signs, the access will be cut off. On the north: Wood and Emigrant Canyons. I cannot over emphasize the value of the Coronado National Forest map for finding access. Scouting before the season will help greatly.

Access to the west side areas can be gained by using the Willcox exits on I-10 for Highway 186 and then 181. North side locations can be reached by exits at Bowie, San Simon, and Road Forks exits from I-10. Southern portions can be reached on Highway 80, east of Douglas.

Get off the beaten path. By that hunt (I was on the same hunt last year) the deer have been hunted for a month straight. The bucks will not be near roads or easily accessed areas because everyone has been waiting in those places for the last month trying to kill them. Find a place you can get deep in and get a good glassing spot BEFORE daylight.

Last year that hunt was one of the least successfully hunts in the state. We saw everything last year except a buck. Bear, turkey, does, etc. Take a sidearm especially if your hiking in the dark. A buddy of mine got in a staring contest with an unknown animal before dawn last year. He had my 44 mag so he just waited for daylight and luckily it was just a doe.

If you are not prepared to get up early and put on some decent boot work on that hunt you are pretty much going to just have a camping trip where you bring a gun.

I have only really hunted in some of the higher elevations in 29 so if that is what you need info on let me know and I can offer a little help via PM on locations.

If you are in Phoenix go to the Wide World of Maps and get the topo maps for the are you are interested in, they are some of the best info available along with Google Earth. Take your topo maps to a teaching store to get them laminated for a reasonable price.

Thanks for the advice. I will be down there next weekend looking for deer. Also when I said no honey holes I was referring to the arguments that have gone on over the unit. All I need is a starting point. I appreciate the advice guys thanks if you ever need help with 24 a-b or 23 I can help.

Contact nation forest guys and the rangers in area for a report on road conditions - a lot of campgrounds were closed but they had a list of ones open

at least this tells you which roads are open and you can camp where you want -

Cochise stronghold area offers some high spots to glass

Next weekend is an active hunt weekend, that is the weekend I was supposed to be down there but don't think I will be able to make it this year.

Harley

Yea I know that will be an active time for hunters, but I am hoping to find where the most hunting pressure is and stay clear of those areas.

I'm in 29 as we speak, posting from my camp.

I know of an area that holds 4 shooter bucks right now, my son took one of the other shooters yesterday morning.

I'm not telling where they are either because we have 2 other hunters in camp and they are hoping to put their tags on any one of the others.

In this unit you need to scout!!!

And the funny thing is most of the hunters we have seen from camp are road hunters....ha ha ha good luck with that.

Next week I'll post some pics of my sons buck probably go between 80-90"