Sign in to follow this  
Norteno

Michigan Albino Deer Shot (story)

Too bad a bunch of people are bashing this kid. Thats an awesome deer.

Good for him, that is a funky looking deer though, haha!

People are stupid. They should want this deer out of the population to keep its genetic defects out of the herds. Congrats to the kid, I would have dropped it too if I had the chance.

• Like 1

Most true trophy bucks are "different". Good for the kid. On making a good shot, on taking a legal animal, and for getting a genetic defect out of the gene pool. Kind of like a 30" wide 2 point muley buck. Bad genes that should be culled from the future herd.

Not sure about a younger buck, looks mature, but maybe not in his prime yet. The article states people have "seen the buck several times in recent years." Meaning at least a 3.5 year old buck. I am surprised he lasted as long as he did.

Albinism is a genetic defect, so yes, technically bad genes as far as coloring goes. Maybe not in antler growth genes though. I would definitely shoot this one. He sure would be difficult to hunt in November/December/January timeframe in Michigan. I am glad deer are not like Snowshoe and Arctic hares and Ptarmigan.

My family has a cabin on acreage in MN that is known for having a lot of albino deer. My cousin killed a nice buck and didn't know what it was when he first saw it walking through the woods. I saw one doe last year when I was back there bowhunting. Here is the video I took of it. Congrats to the kid. Cabin is near Mille Lacs Lake in Minnesota. If you google it, they have a lot of albinos there.

http://youtu.be/0jftZce9gPw