Sign in to follow this  
trphyhntr

Is this a legit way to hunt?

Let me get this straight .............. A female youth hunter shoots a buck your were passing on and you're upset about it? ;)

That's what it sounds like... I guess since your glassing the canyon you own it now? If the buck was 300 yards you should have shot or passed but to be mad because someone else shot is stupid.. Public land dude
so since it's public land people should just throw ethics out the window? Anyone can do what they want and that's fine? I don't think he really cares that certain buck died but the way it happened.. even if it's public you shouldn't just go trample into a canyon you know someone is obviously in hunting a group of deerand knowing they are there you flip them off and continue to hunt as if he wasn't there. If you are one of those people you should stay home. Yeah it sucks when someone is in an area hunting deer you want to hunt or planned to hunt but if they beat you there you should leave. We learn that when we are 10 in hunter safety class.
  • Like 2

No, not a legit way to hunt. Nor is it ethical.

Hunter safety and ethics are not things you commonly see used on public land. Sorry about your experience trophy. I got bagged on earlier this year for posting it being illegal to bait deer. Shows you the very lack of morals and integrity that we as a society employ any more. Very sad.

Pretty messed up situation but not surprising ... I expect to see hunters and often they make an honest mistake but this does not sound like the case in your situation... I have twice experienced what I think is a bit worse than that down south, when having bullets coming overhead from long distance shooters who knew I was between them and the deer they attempted to shoot .. I make it a point to make others see me by standing flashing a mirror in their direction or putting my orange up ... Both times I was acknowledged by waves so I know they knew I was there... both times it was deer coming over the ridge line and moving to bed in the shade below.. both times multiple shots were fired and missed sending the bucks running for broke. I would have much rather the hunters worked to me and discussed how they intended to hunt the area ... I was only able to have words with one of the groups. the group was 6 guys, 2 hunters being guided... I told them if they shoot over my head again I was going to shoot back aiming right at them and say it was self defense as my life felt threatened... that group broke and moved their camp that night and I did not see any of the hunters or vehicles the entire rest of the hunt down in 36B.

• Like 2

Let me get this straight .............. A female youth hunter shoots a buck your were passing on and you're upset about it? ;)

That's what it sounds like... I guess since your glassing the canyon you own it now? If the buck was 300 yards you should have shot or passed but to be mad because someone else shot is stupid.. Public land dude
I didn't want that deer, I was waiting for the other one that is 4x5 and wide that was in there to stand up. heck if he would have come down and spoke to me instead of rushing out in front of me I would have told him about the 4x4 that was in the draw next to it that was a better deer.
  • Like 1

I don't carry a side arm for fear of an animal attack. I carry a side arm for reckless hunters. I usually have my wife and or kids with me hunting. If you know I'm there and you shoot in my direction, well lets just say its gonna get interesting. Mistakes do happen. Someone might not see another person down in a canyon and shoot. But to knowingly shoot with someone in between you and a target is just plain unacceptable.

Flippin carp hunters ;)

Blaze IMO the coues hunters are far worse, I have been on coues hunts where I have seen the worst of it and often by long range shooters ... I have seen 4 guys unload and reload on small buck shooting right up to a hunter glassing on the ridge above where it was bedded they fired off over 20 shots every time the buck was moving up and getting closer to the hunter .. If I seen him I am sure they did too... He hustled of the hill and knocked the biggest guy in the group out with one punch then drew his sidearm and continued to unload verbally on them... It was not a buck he was interested in but the proximity to him those guys should have never been shot ... He told the young guys to go get their buck and me and my buddy worked to the group in time to hear him tell the dad that he was going to working the area throughout the hunt and if he seen them even close in his glass they would be seeing rocks exploding around them ... Same unit far different area were on some bucks at night fall , returned to glass the next morning but only got a few hundred yards from road so we could get a wider look and relocate them in the numerous draws, well we found them about 600-700 yards a couple ridges over, but while glassing we seen that a hunter coming from the other direction was glassing them up and putting a stalk on them ...We decided to just stay put and watch and see if he was successful and where the rest of the group of 5 bucks went when he was done... He was within about 400 yards and working up closer when the biggest buck stood up, under the tree he stood out like a sore thumb and was easily seen without binoculars. It was at that time a truck stopped on the road and a hunter decided to shoot the 1000 yard shot.. The guy on the stalk stood up waving blaze orange , the guy in the trucks friend was saying something and pointing to the other hunter when the guy with the gun let his shot rip hitting the buck but only wounding him... The hunter at that point unloaded his firearm sending all 5 bucks scrambling and running over steep nasty terrain... At that point we headed down to our truck and the guys off the shoulder of the road telling them how screwed up that was for them to do. We told them we knew they were aware of the other hunter stalking them, even the shooters buddy acknowledged we were right. The guy stalking worked his way down quick shouting and cussing right to them pissed telling them to have fun trying to locate that wounded buck now as he walked off ! So when you say carp hunters in reference to ethics and respecting others .. I have seen way worse on my coues hunts and way more than anyone should see and most of it in 36b ..

Flippin carp hunters ;)

Blaze IMO the coues hunters are far worse, I have been on coues hunts where I have seen the worst of it and often by long range shooters ... I have seen 4 guys unload and reload on small buck shooting right up to a hunter glassing on the ridge above where it was bedded they fired off over 20 shots every time the buck was moving up and getting closer to the hunter .. If I seen him I am sure they did too... He hustled of the hill and knocked the biggest guy in the group out with one punch then drew his sidearm and continued to unload verbally on them... It was not a buck he was interested in but the proximity to him those guys should have never been shot ... He told the young guys to go get their buck and me and my buddy worked to the group in time to hear him tell the dad that he was going to working the area throughout the hunt and if he seen them even close in his glass they would be seeing rocks exploding around them ... Same unit far different area were on some bucks at night fall , returned to glass the next morning but only got a few hundred yards from road so we could get a wider look and relocate them in the numerous draws, well we found them about 600-700 yards a couple ridges over, but while glassing we seen that a hunter coming from the other direction was glassing them up and putting a stalk on them ...We decided to just stay put and watch and see if he was successful and where the rest of the group of 5 bucks went when he was done... He was within about 400 yards and working up closer when the biggest buck stood up, under the tree he stood out like a sore thumb and was easily seen without binoculars. It was at that time a truck stopped on the road and a hunter decided to shoot the 1000 yard shot.. The guy on the stalk stood up waving blaze orange , the guy in the trucks friend was saying something and pointing to the other hunter when the guy with the gun let his shot rip hitting the buck but only wounding him... The hunter at that point unloaded his firearm sending all 5 bucks scrambling and running over steep nasty terrain... At that point we headed down to our truck and the guys off the shoulder of the road telling them how screwed up that was for them to do. We told them we knew they were aware of the other hunter stalking them, even the shooters buddy acknowledged we were right. The guy stalking worked his way down quick shouting and cussing right to them pissed telling them to have fun trying to locate that wounded buck now as he walked off ! So when you say carp hunters in reference to ethics and respecting others .. I have seen way worse on my coues hunts and way more than anyone should see and most of it in 36b ..

it dont matter what it is anymore....deer hunting,dove hunting, fishing, little league, yeilding to freeway traffic....YAWN....get used to it...it aint gonna get any better.
  • Like 3

Pics of female ?

I think he meant to type female youth you sicko

Youve never been on AR15.com before have you?? They do ask for pics on there of any and all females and mean it.

Back to the topic at hand JohnnieBlaze is right. Doesnt matter what your hunting, Its only gonna get worse :(

There isn't enough information in your story, to have an opinion.

Ding, Ding, Ding, we have a winner!

We sort of got trophy's side of the story, albeit a piece at a time. I'd bet the opposing viewpoint of what happened is vastly different.

The common theme of these "I can't believe people's ethics these days" threads is a lack of communication between involved parties. I believe that most of us will do the right thing when a situation arises. Obviously there are exceptions. Calmly addressing a situation can keep it from becoming a conflict.

Trophy mentions making eye contact at 50 yards, could this be when the other party becomes aware of another hunter in the canyon? Maybe Trophy was flapping his arms doing the "WTH" gesture at this point. That could get the finger from a preacher. The point is, when eye contact was made at 50 yards, it would have been the time for Trophy to let the other party know he had a buck bedded that he was hoping to take. The other party could have said, "we got a 14 year old girl on her first hunt, we just want a buck". Details could have been worked out from there. Don't know, I was not there.

• Like 1