joelpresmyk8

Lapping rings?

Hey guys! Sorry got another question and would appreciate your input. How important is lapping rings for an avid shooter? Will I really notice a difference? I use those burris tactical rings.

All lapping does is true up the ring so that there is even and positive lock up around the scope and to ensure the optic is not binding in any way. I use Burris signature zee rings with the pos align inserts as they provide good square alignment and lock up. I always lap if I can't get my hands on some. The optic is the most important part of shooting especially if doing so at long range.

Ok I see what your saying! Was just looking at a package that included the stuff to lap rings and I figured why not

A high quality set of rings, like TPS, Seekins, Badger, Spur, etc. will not need lapping. Others might. I have a set of Burris Xtreme that needed no lapping.

Results may vary.

I have Talley one piece rings and bases on my 7LRM & 257 Wby. Both are lapped. I did not lap the rings on the LRM to begin with and the scope moved so.... lesson learned.

It's not a bad idea to lap any rings,no matter the brand.This will make it true,and you will never put any marks on a scope again.

• Like 1

I use a reamer build for scope rings. Works a lot faster. Every time I have ran the reamer I usually get some of the sharp edges of the rings off. Other than that 100 % contact is what you are looking for. Lapping works perfectly fine just takes a little longer than the reamer. Oh and the reamers are VERY expensive. I have 1 30mm reamer and 1 35mm reamer from Manson Reamers.

Lapping both rings together also helps ensure they are alined properly. If they're not alined, it will induce stress on the scope and action.

I like to lap for two reasons. 1: even surface area for maximum grip. Less risk of slippage. 2: stress free mounting.

• Like 1