DesertBull

What powder for .308 win?

What's your go to powder for .308 win? Seems like varget is real popular but good luck finding it

FWIW-

180 grain bullets

26" barrel

IMR4064. Burn rate very similar to Varget and has always given me better results.

Varget is not hard to find. I see it pop up on gunbot.net/reloading/powder at least once a week. I like the Varget because it is not sensitive to temperature.

I don't know what it is with Varget but I have never been able to achieve the accuracy I desire with it. I have tried it in 223,243,260,308,270 & 30-06 and have never found a load i am happy with. 4064 on the other hand has always shot great for me in everything I have tried it in.

Varget works amazing for my .223 pushing a 69 SMK at 3033fps. Shoots .202" groups at 100, 3" groups at 585, and hits steel in high winds at 848. Not bad for an AR.

Everything else I have tried it in (.22-250, .250 Ackley), I have much better results with other powders. Namely H414. Better speed, better accuracy.

Just an FYI paying local you can pay up to 35.00 a pound or 250.00 for 8lbs. Online IF only IF you buy 8lbs is where you save money. I just bought 8 1lbs for a total of 159.00, 28.00 hazmat, and 20.00 for shipping. That is still cheaper than buying it in store. Just an FYI.

I have bought local but always pay more because they are hitting you with the same hazmat charge you just don't see it. Do what you would like.

If you are just going to buy a 1 lb than ya it pointless to buy online. Just trying to help.

• Like 1

Agree but right now I don't know for sure what powder I will be using long term so don't want to commit with 8lbs. After I settle on a powder then a big jug will be ordered.

I must agree with STOMP on this. I've just never had the smashing success with VARGET that everybody else has. While I always keep a supply on hand and develop loads with it in new barrels I never seem to get the results I'm looking for.

IMR4064 is a great powder for the 308. I always keep some in hand and use it for some loads.

2 of the most overlooked powders for the 308 are H4895 and IMR4320. These can be great.

It is quite possible that my all time favorate 308 powder is RL15. I've had more success with it in more barrels than any other. I've never figured out why I read so much about temperature sensitive it is. I've shot the same loads over the chrony at -20F. and +120F. The velocities have been surprisingly close. If my memory serves me right, 50ish'sec.

Noteworthy powders:

RL15, RL17, H4895, BENCHMARK, VARGET, H4350, IMR4320, 4064, VV N135, N140, N540, N550.

• Like 1

I use h4350 for all my larger calibers with great success.

So, basically what you are saying is, buy what ever is on sale because most anything will work?

B)