5guyshunting

questionable shots

I'm guilty after my unit 21 mule deer hunt.

On sunday afternoon I glassed up three bucks at about 1615 hours. I watched them for about 30 minutes. The bucks were slowly feeding away as I ranged them at 679 yards. I had my new sendero 7mm mag and had been shooting at 600 to 720 yards. I set up and took the shot, but the wind was the enemy. The shot hit low in the hind quarter and the buck turned heading my way limping. In a matter of maybe two minutes I was losing light and lost site of the buck behind another hill. My itchy trigger finger failed.

Monday morning my only goal was to have someone in our group tag this deer. At 0600 hours we were at the same location I shot from waiting for first light. At first light I started glassing and I was so lucky. I found the buck bedded cross canyon at 313 yards. I set up and took the shot, my shot was high and broke his back. Another buck stood up and he was put down by my friends son.

Not my poudest moment, but I did recover the buck. Unknowingly to me my oldest son shot this video. I'm sure some won't like it and I don't like it much, but sometimes it happens.http://m.youtube.com/results?q=unit%2021%20deer&sm=1

Glad you recovered the buck. I'm not a fan of the long range shots, not saying its right or wrong just not for me.

• Like 3

I am not a fan of long range hunting as well. Glad you got the deer down and man enough to say i messed up. Congratulations

• Like 6

If you can't adjust for the wind at that distance you should not have taken that shot you were very fortunate to have recovered your deer it takes lots of practice in all conditions to make shots at that distance

• Like 3

If you can't adjust for the wind at that distance you should not have taken that shot you were very fortunate to have recovered your deer it takes lots of practice in all conditions to make shots at that distance

the adjustments were made, but obviously not spot on.

I would have given the first deer another mercy shot after seeing his eye blinking and looking around. I saw the comment you made on your youtube video about not posting opinions. If you don't want to hear people's opinions don't lay it out for the world to see.

• Like 1

I would have given the first deer another mercy shot after seeing his eye blinking and looking around. I saw the comment you made on your youtube video about not posting opinions. If you don't want to hear people's opinions don't lay it out for the world to see.

I do not know what you are referring to , my son filmed this . I'm not looking for any opinionsand dont know much about youtube opinions. Its layed out as it is. I could have shot again at 313 yards. I chose to dispatch the deer when I did. The shot was deadly within two minutes. Ever bow hunted?

• Like 1

the adjustments were made, but obviously not spot on

The technology is available that will give you the exact adjustments that are necessary in any condition to make almost any shot under any condition

The technology is available that will give you the exact adjustments that are necessary in any condition to make almost any shot under any condition

nah man, those things arent completely accurate. you have to shoot previously and known distances. if you sight in at 100 then just plug in a ballistic chart at 750, you'll be close but probably not dead nut. which explains why he hit it but not right in the power plant

Live and learn buddy. Next time you'll be better practiced for the wind or won't shoot. Stand up move on your part to admit it but it brings the issue to the fore front. Lots of folks get buck fever or see the first buck of their hunt and take a shot. May be to long, bad angle, hunter winded and out of breath, or just plain ignorance to their ability. Whatever the reason it happens to more than care to admit. I missed an 80yard shot at a deer broad side 2 years ago, swore I hit it. Looked for blood for hours but found none. Went back for two days and saw no birds circling or coyotes or anything. More people need to man up and admit mistakes or bad judgement.

• Like 1

You are absolutely correct. There is always the factor of human error. I am human and I had an error, but recovered the animal. Thats why I posted this .

Congrats on your deer! I couldnt hit the broad side of a barn at that range, much less a buck. The hit wasn't perfect but thats still impressive shooting to me.

Your link led to a list of videos. I clicked on the second one down that was 20 hrs old sandwiched between one that was three years old and one that was 5 years old (

), assuming this was the video you wanted people to watch. If you did not know what I was referring to I will narrow it down for you (1:54 to 2:04). This is the line below the video in youtube. "Opinions are like a**holes everyones got one but not everyone cares so keep them to yourselves! everything that happend was legal..." If this is the video you meant to link to I will not apologize for my earlier post. If this is not the video you wanted I will also not apologize and would tell you to learn how to link a video.

Congrats on finding and taking a deer this year! The "long range" controversy is a definately a subjective decision, luckily we are still able to make some decisions in this country.

• Like 4

Your link led to a list of videos. I clicked on the second one down that was 20 hrs old sandwiched between one that was three years old and one that was 5 years old (

), assuming this was the video you wanted people to watch. If you did not know what I was referring to I will narrow it down for you (1:54 to 2:04). This is the line below the video in youtube. "Opinions are like a**holes everyones got one but not everyone cares so keep them to yourselves! everything that happend was legal..." [/size] If this is the video you meant to link to I will not apologize for my earlier post. If this is not the video you wanted I will also not apologize and would tell you to learn how to link a video.

I dont give a flying **** if you apologies or not. You are reading way to much into this. You are correct I am not a guy that plays computer all day and am not real savvy on linking. Post your opinion if you want. I dont care.

• Like 1