Sign in to follow this  
CouesHunterAZ

12A East Hunt Success

- Just got back from our trip in 12A East, here are the details of another great family hunt.

Again after weeks of planning and preparation I was in the Yukon at 6 am thanksgiving day to pick up my brothers and dad. I picked them up around 10 and we headed off to Marble canyon. We quickly stopped at the Marble Canyon lodge and decided to go out for a quick scouting trip. None of us have been hunting in the area before so we wanted to get the gist of our plans for friday morning. Luckily Jeff(muley224) gave me some great advice on the unit and some spots to check out. We got to some good hunting area around 4 p.m. and started scouting out areas that would be good to check out the next days. I decided to pull out the .300 just in case we run into something, and we started going down some back roads. We kept getting out of the Yukon and glassing some hills, but we were not seeing any movement or sign for that matter.

It was getting late so we decided to start heading back to the lodge but we decided to head down one last road that Jeff said was his favorite just to check it out for the next day. We were halfway down the road when I spotted two does around 170 yards away off to the right side. My father slammed on the brakes and everyone pulled up their binos. Immediately my father says, "Buck, IT IS A SHOOTER", and I am getting my seat belt off looking at the two does behind a bush with my naked eyes. We had planned that on the first two days I would only shoot a buck that was 160" or bigger, and so when my father said it was a shooter I highly questioned that the first buck we were going to see would be above that mark. I looked 20 yards to the left of the bushes the does were at and saw the buck feeding with his head down. I was trying to grab ammo/open the door/grab the gun when the buck picked his head up, and I immediately knew why my father and brothers were freaking out about. I have never seen as big of a buck in the wild in my life, the biggest buck probably being around 160". I awkwardly got out of the car threw a round in and downed this beauty at around 160 yards. I hit a lung and he ran about 30 yards and was done. It was by far the shortest hunt of my life as we walked around 500 yards total and it took one hour.

This is by far the biggest buck in my family as we consider a spike as a trophy in our books. I couldn't have done it without this website as it is the reason why I wanted to put in for kaibab hunts and to also go after trophy bucks. And I certainly couldn't have done it without Jeff as I would have had no idea how to hunt this area. Jeff helped score him today and he came in at 185" gross without the deduction of his left kicker. I am still in shock that this really happened and I couldn't have asked for a better thanksgiving with the family.

post-10897-0-60725600-1417412797_thumb.jpg
post-10897-0-44799100-1417412811_thumb.jpg
  • Like 7

That's an awesome buck! Congratulations on your success!

Awesome buck, keep us posted on what that brute scores. Congrats!

I'm CouesHunterAZ's brother and I was very fortunate to be on this hunt. First time in the bab and WOW, what a special place. I've been visiting coueswhitetail for a long time, but have not participated much in the discussions, but I love the community here. Thank you to everyone who helped on this hunt, Jeff especially (and thank you for welcoming us into your lovely home).

What a great buck, thick and tall, we could not have asked for anything more.

rageinthesage-buck grossed 185", without the deduction for the kicker. Logan is looking into official scoring within the next couple of months.

• Like 1

Congratulations on a super buck! Awesome to get the information and help you did, there are some great people on this site! Happy it paid off for you in a big way!

It was a pleasure meeting Logan and his family. They are what family and hunting are at its finest. Their enthusiasm and respect for their harvest was refreshing. They are welcome at my home anytime. I love the " Rageinthesage " name for this great Buck. I have seen and been involved in many Kaibab deer harvested through the years and the pics of this Buck don't do him justice. Great mass, over 5" bases and mass all the way up. Very Symetrical. Logan, next time Dad says " he's a shooter " don't hesitate. Congrats again, and have a Merry Christmas !!

post-10954-0-38618900-1417553803_thumb.jpg

• Like 1