Sign in to follow this  
rugerman

6A late hunt (updated w/ story)

I can't wait! Through some creative scheduling and an understanding wife, I have come with 14 days to hunt this tag. I have hunted here before and have my spots, but if you want to PM me with areas I should look at, I will gladly entertain suggestions. Don't worry all the little bucks are safe on this hunt. Merry Christmas!

Glassed this buck up before sunset on opening week from a mile out. I didn't have enough daylight to make a run at him. After returning to work for several days, I was able to get back at it.

After 3 more days of glassing I found him again running with the same doe. 1.5 miles across two 300' deep cuts and an hour 15 minutes later I was getting close. I realized halfway over that I had forgotten my binos so I had that going for me. I snuck around the ridge into the valley they were in and ranged the hill I had last seen them on 271 yds. I attempted to find them with the scope in the fading light, but was losing hope fast. 40 yds away the doe steps out and sensing something, investigates coming within 10 yds. Finally realizing her mistake she snorts, stamps and flags and moves out. I stand still and keep looking for the buck and he steps out at 40yds right where the doe did. 130gr of TTSX from the titanium 700 .270 might overpenetrate at this range.

He is not blind in an eye, nor did I shoot his eye out, that is the rock I propped him with pushing his eye shut. That was yesterday, today I am having trouble walking with my sore legs.

Merry Christmas!

IMG_1249_zpsd42c6967.jpg

• Like 5

Heck of a buck! Great job man. I love 6A!